Quantcast
Damascus 280 Sujihiki WIP - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Damascus 280 Sujihiki WIP

Grind sounds nice. Nice photog shots between each bevel being ground too, shows off the convex pretty well. Nicely done. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Ok she is finish ground(blade only) up to 240 grit 10 inches of distal taper is a pain lol. This thing feels like a feather right now. What is a good weight to shoot for? I will get a few pictures in here in a minute.

Ok tried to edit and add but i am too slow :P Ok here is it as i am finishing running up the grit scale . This is at a rough 240 grit, and i have belts coming that go up to 2000. I should have them by monday or tuesday...but might just get crazy and do it by hand after this. I plan on taking it to 2000 grit before etching it and a 2500 after etch....Should look pretty good, i hope

And also, Here is my basic plan for the handle. Sorry for the crappy drawing. I am still unsure what to use for the spacer in between the scales. It will have copper spacers on either side of the damascus spacers and also on either side of the middle piece...Does this make any sense?

Hope this is legible. Any thoughts on this are welcome and appreciated.

I just want to see this thing when you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post

Holy crap, if I could draw like that, I'd have less hobbies, for sure.

I vote you line the 'spine' with copper, like your notes say--copper, koa, copper. The copper will make a pillar pattern with the perpendicular spacers by the damascus. This is going to be off the chart!

So your going to give that to me for christmas right?

IMO...ANYTHING with copper is better. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    And also, Here is my basic plan for the handle. Sorry for the crappy drawing. I am still unsure what to use for the spacer in between the scales. It will have copper spacers on either side of the damascus spacers and also on either side of the middle piece...Does this make any sense?
    Yea, that's definitely not a "crappy drawing". Pretty impressive.

So, I know that I'm one for some "blinging" handles, but wowzers, this one will surely outbling all the rest. I know that we like copper here, but is there a need for it to flank the damascus spacers when you'll already have some shiny damascus in there? (I do like the idea of copper flanking the koa though).

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post
    Yea, that's definitely not a "crappy drawing". Pretty impressive.

So, I know that I'm one for some "blinging" handles, but wowzers, this one will surely outbling all the rest. I know that we like copper here, but is there a need for it to flank the damascus spacers when you'll already have some shiny damascus in there? (I do like the idea of copper flanking the koa though).
    You have no idea how blingy....that horn he has is insane.I was expecting he could draw,it would be hard to do his profession without those skills.

Looks awesome Mike.
    That handle is VERY ambitious, I bet it comes together great.

And yes to the pin in the buttcap.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***