Damascus 280 Sujihiki WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
So...we took turns manning the press yesterday(Mostly Randy Jr.) and made a pretty good size billet of damascus. Mario and I split the billet of HHH damascus and Salty was gracious enough to allow me to copy the profile of one of his suji's. I am not sure which one it was(He called it the gold standard in suji's). Earlier today i profiled the blade, The plan for the handle is a split wa but in a stick tang. I will need to use a spacer between the scales, but it will have a full ferrule with a full ferrule spacer. I am using some really incredible musk ox horn for the full handle scales, but unsure of the spacer between and the ferrule. I thought about some really light stabilized koa i have and maybe some sort of dark stabilized wood for the ferrule. I might get some mammoth tooth or use some more damascus for the ferrule spacer....What do you guys think? I need some options. Anyway...here is the start of the blade, i will get some more pictures tonight after i HT it and re etch to see the pattern
2011-10-10_16-58-30_382.jpg

Thoughts? Opinions? Critiques? Comments?

Nice, Your not messing around are ya??!!?!

Looking forward to seeing this WIP and the finished knife.

hmm. musta been the 270 Masamoto honyaki...

That sounds right! Got it heat treated, tempering right now. Came out straight as an arrow! I have good feelings about this one :) This is some super tight pattern stuff, Randy Jr. is a beast! Here is a quick, dirty etch at 120 grit. Cant wait to get this one finished.....I think i will dream of this one lol.
2011-10-11_01-24-41_879.jpg

Looks great, very nice choice of profile. Suji's are fun:D

Unsure of that one. Might sell it to fund buying some more of Randy's damascus lol. Spent about 45 minutes last night laying in a wicked distal taper...I payed attention to your suji...Hoping to rock that profile. If i do sell it, you bet you ass i am using it before i do :D

What do you guys think about using amboyna burl between the musk ox horn scales? I was also thinking of using damascus for the spacer and for the buttcap with maybe amboyna or african blackwood for the ferrule. I am still undecided so i want to get some opinions/thoughts on this.

Unsure of that one. Might sell it to fund buying some more of Randy's damascus lol. Spent about 45 minutes last night laying in a wicked distal taper...I payed attention to your suji...Hoping to rock that profile. If i do sell it, you bet you ass i am using it before i do :D

Hey, I let you guys use mine it is only fair that I get to use yours. lol:tooth:

Hey, I let you guys use mine it is only fair that I get to use yours. lol:tooth:

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You are going to LOVE those knives! They are stunning! I am heading out to the shop in a few minutes to get some bevels on this bad boy :) I cannot wait for this one to be done....I am going to slice up a whole cow! Not really...can't afford the damn cow.....LOL!

Looks great! I have handle with amboyna between 2 white bone scales and a black horn ferrule - I like the color combo. Of course, it will be killer with the musk ox scales instead of the plain horn. Personally, I am leaning more towards less busy handles, especially if they might distract from the beautiful blade. But that comes down to personal taste. In the end, I find that much easier to decide if I have the materials in front of me.

Stefan

Ok update time. I have the bevel rough ground, 50 grit to about .010 thick edge. After doing dinner with the wife and kid, i plan on getting the blade finished up and etched.
I am trying to do a blended 3 flat/convex. Here is the primary flat grind.
P1030619.jpg

Here it is ground all the way up to the spine with the secondary bevel.
P1030623.jpg

And here it is with the 3rd bevel ground in taking the edge to about .010. I will grind the edge to .001 before i lay in the edge bevels.
P1030639.jpg

Hope to have pictures of it finished up later tonight! Getting super excited about this one!

is that the suji? If so did you change the profile? It looks tall.

Ok update time. I have the bevel rough ground, 50 grit to about .010 thick edge. After doing dinner with the wife and kid, i plan on getting the blade finished up and etched.
I am trying to do a blended 3 flat/convex. Here is the primary flat grind...
Hope to have pictures of it finished up later tonight! Getting super excited about this one!
It definitely looks and sounds like a winner. :thumbsup:

Yes Salty, this is the damascus one. The profile has not changed since i cut it out! I have it cut to the exact profile of your knife. It is just my lack of photography skills. I am really stoked with how this is turning out. I cant wait to get the handle materials, i am going to seriously take my time with the handle....too much money to screw up lol.

Thats looking great mike, grind turned out awesome, cant wait to see what you decide to use on the handle!
-Randy Jr.

Grind sounds nice. Nice photog shots between each bevel being ground too, shows off the convex pretty well. Nicely done. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Ok she is finish ground(blade only) up to 240 grit :) 10 inches of distal taper is a pain lol. This thing feels like a feather right now. What is a good weight to shoot for? I will get a few pictures in here in a minute.

Ok tried to edit and add but i am too slow :p Ok here is it as i am finishing running up the grit scale . This is at a rough 240 grit, and i have belts coming that go up to 2000. I should have them by monday or tuesday...but might just get crazy and do it by hand after this. I plan on taking it to 2000 grit before etching it and a 2500 after etch....Should look pretty good, i hope
2011-10-14_10-13-11_663.jpg

And also, Here is my basic plan for the handle. Sorry for the crappy drawing. I am still unsure what to use for the spacer in between the scales. It will have copper spacers on either side of the damascus spacers and also on either side of the middle piece...Does this make any sense?
2011-10-14_10-37-43_255.jpg

Hope this is legible. Any thoughts on this are welcome and appreciated.

I just want to see this thing when you're finished.

Holy crap, if I could draw like that, I'd have less hobbies, for sure.

I vote you line the 'spine' with copper, like your notes say--copper, koa, copper. The copper will make a pillar pattern with the perpendicular spacers by the damascus. This is going to be off the chart!

IMO...ANYTHING with copper is better. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

And also, Here is my basic plan for the handle. Sorry for the crappy drawing. I am still unsure what to use for the spacer in between the scales. It will have copper spacers on either side of the damascus spacers and also on either side of the middle piece...Does this make any sense?
2011-10-14_10-37-43_255.jpg

Yea, that's definitely not a "crappy drawing". Pretty impressive.

So, I know that I'm one for some "blinging" handles, but wowzers, this one will surely outbling all the rest. I know that we like copper here, but is there a need for it to flank the damascus spacers when you'll already have some shiny damascus in there? (I do like the idea of copper flanking the koa though).

Yea, that's definitely not a "crappy drawing". Pretty impressive.

So, I know that I'm one for some "blinging" handles, but wowzers, this one will surely outbling all the rest. I know that we like copper here, but is there a need for it to flank the damascus spacers when you'll already have some shiny damascus in there? (I do like the idea of copper flanking the koa though).

You have no idea how blingy....that horn he has is insane.I was expecting he could draw,it would be hard to do his profession without those skills.

Looks awesome Mike.
That handle is VERY ambitious, I bet it comes together great.

And yes to the pin in the buttcap.

Back