Quantcast
Damascus 280 Sujihiki WIP
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Damascus 280 Sujihiki WIP

Damascus 280 Sujihiki WIP

So...we took turns manning the press yesterday(Mostly Randy Jr.) and made a pretty good size billet of damascus. Mario and I split the billet of HHH damascus and Salty was gracious enough to allow me to copy the profile of one of his suji's. I am not sure which one it was(He called it the gold standard in suji's). Earlier today i profiled the blade, The plan for the handle is a split wa but in a stick tang. I will need to use a spacer between the scales, but it will have a full ferrule with a full ferrule spacer. I am using some really incredible musk ox horn for the full handle scales, but unsure of the spacer between and the ferrule. I thought about some really light stabilized koa i have and maybe some sort of dark stabilized wood for the ferrule. I might get some mammoth tooth or use some more damascus for the ferrule spacer....What do you guys think? I need some options. Anyway...here is the start of the blade, i will get some more pictures tonight after i HT it and re etch to see the pattern

Thoughts? Opinions? Critiques? Comments?

it is gorgeous! I'm glad you had fun.

Nice, Your not messing around are ya??!!?!

Looking forward to seeing this WIP and the finished knife.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

hmm. musta been the 270 Masamoto honyaki...

That sounds right! Got it heat treated, tempering right now. Came out straight as an arrow! I have good feelings about this one This is some super tight pattern stuff, Randy Jr. is a beast! Here is a quick, dirty etch at 120 grit. Cant wait to get this one finished.....I think i will dream of this one lol.

Looks great, very nice choice of profile. Suji's are fun

Is that going to be a keeper or seller?

Unsure of that one. Might sell it to fund buying some more of Randy's damascus lol. Spent about 45 minutes last night laying in a wicked distal taper...I payed attention to your suji...Hoping to rock that profile. If i do sell it, you bet you ass i am using it before i do

What do you guys think about using amboyna burl between the musk ox horn scales? I was also thinking of using damascus for the spacer and for the buttcap with maybe amboyna or african blackwood for the ferrule. I am still undecided so i want to get some opinions/thoughts on this.

Mike, I think damascus spacer with the African black wood ferrule would be HOT!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

+ Reply to Thread