Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do cooks hand out resumes door to door?

Do cooks hand out resumes door to door?

100% legit question, I recently left my employeer and decided I'd take a little time off in calgary, have fun cooking, ski in the Rockies etc etc. But ive never actually applied for a culinary position, last job was a server, I enetered a cooking competition for staff, kicked all the cooks asses(took first lol) and got asked if I could help out and slowly became a cook. Before that I worked PT like 1 day a week at my mom's friends italian restaurant. Is it the same as going door to door for a server? I haven't handed out resumes in six? years. Always online. Is it rude to go in and ask to speak to the executive chef and ask about jobs. Id probably try and go during slow times mon-thurs 2-4 ish. After the lunch rush and before diner/happy hour.

Good luck in your search. When you are in Calgary we can arrange something to hang out (shoot me a PM if you would like).

Yes, you can drop off resumes at any place that interests you. Not all places advertise or post a sign so just because it doesn't look like they are actively seeking someone doesn't mean they don't need someone.

Also take the opportunity to stage at as many places as possible. Especially since you haven't worked in that many kitchens, seeing more environments will help you find something you like and suits your skill set and goals.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I would recommend going to a catering agency.
    You'll be transferred to many places, you'll learn a lot and if you're doing your job right you'll be getting offers.

Definitely drop off resumes. This is a fluid business and people come and go, as I'm sure you're aware. I'd just caution to do a little research as to the hours. Nothing pisses me off more than somebody wanting to talk potential work during service.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Definitely drop off resumes. This is a fluid business and people come and go, as I'm sure you're aware. I'd just caution to do a little research as to the hours. Nothing pisses me off more than somebody wanting to talk potential work during service.
    I was thinking i would show up around 2, so after the lunch rush and before a lunch rush, going out tomorrow

Absolutely do it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

I was doing that last week and it was received pretty well.
    A good knives wont make you better, only practice will, a good knife should make you practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    I was thinking i would show up around 2, so after the lunch rush and before a lunch rush, going out tomorrow
    Perfect.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I'd be more than willing to sit down unofficial interview if someone came by with resume in hand (without errors meaning they took the time to have it proof read properly)