JNS Atagoyama

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So Maksim posted a few new stones today. I saw the email, clicked the link - thought WOW I may have to rethink my stone budget, then got called into a meeting.

One hour later the one I was thinking about risking divorce for is gone. Snatched from my grabby hands.

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/atagoyama-huge-lv-3-a1201/

I was so looking forward to getting a big beefy stone in the lv 3 range. There's another in the 3.5 but I'm wondering if that's too hard for me at my skill level.

Maybe that meeting saved me from myself?

Start grooming one of the kids to become a cook. You can both save yourself the cost of the college tuition AND legitimate any knife purchases as investing in the kid's future employment opportunities.

That's funny. :doublethumbsup:

I only have one kid and she wants to be an engineer. That, and listening to all the professional chefs on here I'm not sure if that is a life I'd want for her (long hours, ****** starting pay, high failure rate at restarants). You have to really love what you do to choose that life. That and she's 14 and I can't even get her to scramble eggs yet.

Course this is the kettle calling the pot black, I'm a tax accountant and my life pretty much gets put on hold from Jan - April 15th...

I love seeing the stuff Maksim puts up (even checked my email early enough to see them both in stock I think) but I don't think this year's going to be the year that I start dropping $500-700 on individual stones, as nice and gigantic as they are >.<

I have a JNS Aiiwatani Koppa lvl 4 that is just fine in use. Particularly with tomo nagura slurry the feedback is good, not too unforgiving, cutting action is not slow for how fine it seems to finish. One of my first good Jnat finishers

The engineer salary pays well for feeding the knife and stone obsession :D . She might also end up going the route I did - not really knowing how to make anything from scratch when leaving the house but got nicer kitchen stuff with the moneys which helps bolster the - cook food and use those lovely knives you lazy animal - XD

That's funny. :doublethumbsup:

I only have one kid and she wants to be an engineer. That, and listening to all the professional chefs on here I'm not sure if that is a life I'd want for her (long hours, ****** starting pay, high failure rate at restarants). You have to really love what you do to choose that life. That and she's 14 and I can't even get her to scramble eggs yet.

Course this is the kettle calling the pot black, I'm a tax accountant and my life pretty much gets put on hold from Jan - April 15th...

Start referring to cooks as 'nutrition engineers' and give it a few years. ;)

To be fair, I think if you love the job the hours and lousy job conditions don't matter. I'd rather work 80 hours doing a job I love than 30 doing a job I hate.
That being said... I am starting to see the perks of a well-paying job.The rabbit hole has a pretty steep entry price.

Back