Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Santoku with Curly Koa.

Yeah Choll, you saved me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to walk away to keep from grabbing it for myself. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Choll View Post
    Hi Randy. I just purchased this knife and will appreciate the discount. I guess because I am new to the forum I cannot send a PM yet. Anyways I look forward to getting the knife and using it down here in MS. Thanks!
    Thanks. That was very close to being a 1 minute sale, I saw the thread right when he listed it and almost pulled the trigger. Glad someone else took the temptation away!

Very nice, not sure if I would cal, it a gyuto or a santoku, but it's a great looking knife and a very nice working size IMHO. And nothing with koa can ever look bad

Stefan

Aww I missed the price. Now I don't know how much to steal, I mean save.

Mr. Haas, your work is blowing my mind lately. It talks to me. I gotta get my hands on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Choll View Post
    Hi Randy. I just purchased this knife and will appreciate the discount. I guess because I am new to the forum I cannot send a PM yet. Anyways I look forward to getting the knife and using it down here in MS. Thanks!
    Thank you sir. I will get this one packaged up and sent out to you first thing in the morning..

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Very nice knife, Randy. How are you doing your mustard finish, if I might ask?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Thanks guys for the comments and complements on the knife..

Spike, I just clean and dry the blade and apply the mustard with a small paint brush. Leave it on the blade about 5 min. and rinse.. Then, if need be you can reapply to any areas that need it.. This blade I reapplied mustard to the entire blade a second time. Rinse and dry then light oil.

1095 steel reacts very quickly to mustard.. Some other High Carbons you may have to wait longer to get similar results. But as far as I can tell. Theres no wrong way to do it. Mainly, Have fun and experiment till you get your desired effect.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Congratulations Choll,
    Beautiful knife. Cool pattern in the patina.

I am curious about the mustard patina.
    Will it keep looking like this? or will it darken and evolve over time as it is used?
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Mine evolve and become more uniform over time.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Choll....I almost took this one straight from Randy's hands! It is the most impressive Koa i have seen in hand...Looks like the figuring goes as deep as the other side of the handle! It feels beautiful in hand, and is a joy to hold. Amazing knife and great score!