Quantcast
Chefs loves my Kono HD which knife to get him that will compare
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chefs loves my Kono HD which knife to get him that will compare

Chefs loves my Kono HD which knife to get him that will compare

So my chef always steals my Kono HD at work and is always hinting the he loves the knife. Im looking to get him something similar, something stainless or semi-stainless with wa handle preferable but yo handle is fine.

Im more concerned with price overall i don't want to spend very much as i have to buy everyone christmas gifts.

I was thinking the carbonext its 128 right now thats pretty decent, or the TKC but thats kinda outa my price range. any other suggestions??

I'm having a hard time thinking of any real substitute for the HD in a lower price range. The CarboNext is the obvious choice, but by most accounts needs thinning.

Yeah. You're not going to get anything with that kind of fit and finish for less, I think. The CN is fine without thinning but can do better with a little TLC. That's where I'd go.

Giving your chef anything less than a Kono HD will be, well, less. Why don't you clean your Kono up and give it to your chef and buy yourself a CN? This is assuming that you really like your chef and where you work.

Dang... That would be love, right there...

How about the Yusuke Swedish Stainless f/ Blue Way Japan? It's less than a Kono (or any other comparable), but their steel is HRC 58-59 compared to the Kono's 61. BWJ offers Yusuke's stainless and white #2 which is HRC 61-62 for the same price in each knife in each length, in both wa and yo handles. I have the white #2 and don't have any problems w/ rust or reactivity to foods.

If that's too much, then I 2nd the CarboNext. mpp

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    Giving your chef anything less than a Kono HD will be, well, less. Why don't you clean your Kono up and give it to your chef and buy yourself a CN? This is assuming that you really like your chef and where you work.
    Ya not gonna happen lol. I love that knife way too much plus i don't really have the money to get another one. I was thinking the Gesshin 210

What about the Kikuichi TKC? It's a solid workhorse knife in any kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    How about the Yusuke Swedish Stainless f/ Blue Way Japan? It's less than a Kono (or any other comparable), but their steel is HRC 58-59 compared to the Kono's 61. BWJ offers Yusuke's stainless and white #2 which is HRC 61-62 for the same price in each knife in each length, in both wa and yo handles. I have the white #2 and don't have any problems w/ rust or reactivity to foods.

If that's too much, then I 2nd the CarboNext. mpp
    ^^this
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

but if the yusuke's too much, why not a yoshihiro that you hand-smoothed the edges to? it'll be cheaper.

+ Reply to Thread