Mark's gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
I figured i would show you that i am actually working on it :) Here is a quick dirty hamon picture
2011-10-10_15-22-11_207-1.jpg

Trying to get this one done and shipped by the end of the week for ya!:wink:

This is going to be so cool.
It will be my first knife with a hamon.

Cool, Is that the W2? I don't expect you'll be going to crazy with the wood on this one?:D

I will try to use a piece that will match or compliment the pattern of the hamon.

I will try to use a piece that will match or compliment the pattern of the hamon.

1. That's amazing that you can just pick like that. "I want a burl where the figuring has my initials in it.."

2. C'moooooon, you know you want to put some kind of fossilized martian burl on there. If you put straight cocobolo on there, I may have to fly up there and slap you.

*edit* totally taking the piss, btw.

Who told you about the fossil Martian Burl?
That stuff was supposed to be a secret.

My opinion on Cocobolo is that it makes a good projectile to throw at the dogs and tourists when I catch them sniffing around my good wood.

When I get the blade I will post some photos of the pieces I am considering to go with it.

%#$**$@
Kirby just stole my cheese sandwich!

:eek:fftopic: My dog was a rescue, and I've tried every. single. trainer's tactics to get him to stop eternally sniff-hunting and scavenging. It's so incessant, and he's stolen so many of my kids' meals that I really don't like him any more. Sad but true.

Kirby's a good dog.
He only took what was left of the sandwich because I usually share with him anyways.

Back to the knife.
Right now I am thinking I will probably use some koa for the handle.
What I can see of the hamon looks like it would go good with a tiger stripe curly figure.
But......I will probably change my mind one or two times.

I am really looking forward to this knife. It will be fun making the handle.
The good thing is if I mess up I can just say I changed my mind on which wood to use. :pirate1:

Big fun! You'll have to cook more now, tho.....

I am really looking forward to this knife. It will be fun making the handle.
The good thing is if I mess up I can just say I changed my mind on which wood to use. :pirate1:

HAHAHA! That's what i do also Mark :p

Big fun! You'll have to cook more now, tho.....

I think I fit into the category of "Experimental Chef".
I do the grocery shopping and cook dinner each night.
I don't use recipes, just remember some of what I read and then put things together intuitively (not sure if this makes sense?)

Once in a while I make a flop, but for the most part my dinners turn out better than what I can usually get in a mid level restaurant.

I really want to try the blow torch roast. I drool when I think about it.

Ok hate to share this, but it needs to be shown. So before i got the edges too thin, i figured i would do a quick dirty etch to see the hamon....Not happy with the results....Too close to the edge. It will get reclayed and re heat treated tonight.
2011-10-16_17-28-20_673.jpg

2011-10-16_17-28-32_701.jpg

This saddens me....

How deep does the temper go? Wont a close hamon forgive a little when sharpening as the face is thinned?

It might, but this one dips all the way to the edge, meaning it didnt fully harden..I will sand this side a bit finer and etch(at 220 now) and see...hopefully it will raise off the edge, if not, i need to re HT it....

Ok, so it was re clay coated, re heated and is tempering right now :) I gave it a quick sand and etch, and i think we have a winner! I also think we have more activity in it this time.

Ok, so it was re clay coated, re heated and is tempering right now :) I gave it a quick sand and etch, and i think we have a winner! I also think we have more activity in it this time.

Good!
I like the unusual stuff.
Thank You for all your good work Mike.
I am really looking forward to this knife.
I have set aside several blocks that are likely candidates for this knife.

Good news!!!! Everything worked out GREAT!
P1030662.jpg

P1030666.jpg

P1030664.jpg

Did some cool stuff with this one. The ashi on it are going to be awesome! This is a REAl fast dirty etch, but when it is finished properly, she will pop real nice! Also...note the tiger stripes on the spine :) new trick

I will get this finish sanded tomorrow and and polish the hell out of it. I should have it ready to ship tuesday morning :)

I like it!
Thank you for all the extra time you spent getting it just right.

Ok i got her polished and sanded and this ***** looks badass!
2011-10-17_16-11-18_965.jpg

2011-10-17_16-11-09_557.jpg

I never thought to ask the length of the blade.

Maybe one of you guys can give me a little input for the handle?
I have never made a Wa handle before.
What is a good handle height and length for a blade like this?
Any advice is appreciated.
Otherwise I am likely to create some grotesque, mutant, Wa handle.

Length is 239mm edge length, height is 50mm at the heel and it is 2mm thick and tapers to the tip. I would suggest around a 150mm handle. The people who make handles are the ones to ask about proportions....I make mutant handles also so i have no idea lol. Oh also....I left it about .001-.002 thick on the edge so you are not working on a sharp knife...That part is up to you :)

Looks great, Mike! How flat is the flat part? BTW, how hard would you expect it to be?

Very nice Mike! The tiger stripes in the hamon are something else, too cool! Nice cloudy activity too...

Back