D. Martell For Sale - Martell Custom Wa Set

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
This block of redwood has been with me for a really l-o-n-g time. I bought it from Mark at BurlSource many years ago and from there it got put on hold for customer (that took me years to get to) and by then his interests had changed. I was OK with him changing his mind anyway but a bonus came because I don't care to use this type of wood on western handles anyway. But now that I'm doing wa handles I thought this would make a good time to use up this beautiful wood as it's well suited for this style handle. The only thing is that the block was kind of over sized which meant that if I wasn't careful and plan for using the leftover I might cut it too small and only get one handle from it sooooo....I decided to make a matching set. :cool2:

The wood is some pretty rare stuff, at least in my opinion anyway. It's "flamed old growth redwood" that's been stabilized. The flame bands you see move about 3/8" in both directions - it's incredible! I paired the wood up with simple black buffalo horn as to not take away from the wood in anyway. The buffalo horn does have some white streaking on the top side of both handles.

This set is a matched pair in every way I could make it. As mentioned before the redwood came from the same block but you should also know that the buffalo horn came from the same roll and the steel from the same sheet. The shaping of both the handles and blades were done to match each other side by side throughout the entire process. Having these two matching knives in your collection will make a statement. :)

I prefer to sell these knives as I made them - together as a set - so I've priced them with this in mind. If after a few days time the set hasn't sold I will sell them individually for their normal pricing. If you are interested in purchasing only one of these knives you might want to shot me a message and I'll put your name down and contact you should the set be broken up. First come - first served.:wink:

Stats...

Models - Gyuto & Petty

Blade Lengths - Gyuto @ 240mm / Petty @ 160mm

Steel - CPM-154 (powdered stainless steel)

Hardness - Rc 61-62 (with cryo)

Height (at heels) - Gyuto @ 54mm / Petty @ 33mm

Handle - Wa (octagonal)

Handle Materials - Flamed Old Growth Redwood & Buffalo Horn

(Gyuto @ $625 + Petty @ $375 = $1000 priced individually)

Price (for the set) - $900 Shipping - Included in USA only / International - will split cost with buyer

Please contact through PM or email if interested in purchasing.

Thanks,
Dave

P1010001.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010010.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010015.JPG

P1010018.JPG

P1010020.JPG

P1010024.JPG

P1010004.JPG

I like the simplicity and beauty of this handle combo... sometimes less is more. It almost looks like a darker keyaki handle but with the banding to give it a special touch

Let's go ahead and open this sale up to either knife selling individually but the set will still be available while it's here.

Gyuto @ $625

attachment.php

Petty @ $375

attachment.php

Price (for the set) -
$900

attachment.php

Shipping - Included in USA only / International - will split cost with buyer

Please contact through PM or email if interested in purchasing.

Thanks,
Dave

Come on guys this set deserves to stick together...

I was so close to buying but my wife decided she would prefer to feed my alcoholic tendancies by increasing my wine collection....

Come on guys this set deserves to stick together...

Yeah really! :thumbsup:

I was so close to buying but my wife decided she would prefer to feed my alcoholic tendancies by increasing my wine collection....

Well I can't blame you for going with the wine but it would have been nice to get two more knives into OZ because I'm trying to bump Shigefusa from his hold on you folks down there...LOL :rofl2:

If anyone is interested in this set please feel free to shoot me a PM and we can talk.....maybe.... even make a deal. :wink:

24828415_zpse7dc5dee.jpg

:shocked3: Price Drop!!!!!!!!!! :shocked3:

Gyuto @
$625 $575

Petty @
$375 $325

Set @ $900 $850

A gyuto and petty this size are perfect if limited to two knives, and those handles are the perfect cross between Japanese traditional style and custom. Hopefully they can stick together as a set

Also, for some reason when viewing in the iOS app, the price drop Dave posted earlier doesn't show… I've sometimes found this to be a problem when text/pic tags precede other text

Hope I'm not overstepping my limits by posting the dissected text here (hopefully it works)
Price Drop!!!!!!!!!

Gyuto @ $625 $575

Petty @ $375 $325

Set @ $900 $850

An iOS screenshot, there's nothing below the pic
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1487996796.298925.jpg

Thanks for bringing this up and posting the missing text T. That's kind of a big problem I think.

I don't think you missed the mark! Give it a month when people's tax returns start rolling in 😀

All those stripes/bands in the handle move greatly up and down the length - crazy stuff! Some of my best work here folks. :wink:

I'm going to temp you folks one last time. :D

shocked3.gif
Another [FONT=&quot]Price Drop!!!!!!!!!! [/FONT]
shocked3.gif

Set @ $900
$850 $800

I'm going to temp you folks one last time. :D

shocked3.gif
Another [FONT=&amp]Price Drop!!!!!!!!!! [/FONT]
shocked3.gif

Set @ $900
$850 $800

Not showing up in the app again :dontknow:
View attachment 34770

Price is $800 for the set
View attachment 34771

What the what what?

So unless someone checks in using a PC my sales post won't show to them? That's not what I like to hear.

OK, all mobile users - put down your devices and head over to your desktops and log in to see my offer. You might want to go with dial up just to be sure. :scared4:

And BTW, the entire time I was making this set I was thinking oh man this is going to sell fast. I was sure that the wood was going to talk to someone like it did to me.

Maybe an iOS thing. My mobile phone pulled it up. Though instead of the strikethrough of the numbers it just had the actual text command of the strikethrough

Back