Humble Advice for Pro Cooks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty dog

Reaction score
February 3rd of this month marked my 40th year of cooking professionally. Yes, I remember the day I fell in love with this business.

If I can pass anything along for anyone who plans to make it a life long career it's "take care of yourself". Both mentally and physically.

Eat well, sleep well, keep the drinking and drugs in control, wear good shoes, keep your knives sharp and remember you cook to live. Not the other way around.

I know the conditions we work in can be a source of pride but they will eventually catch up to you if ignored.

I don't think I need to make a list. You probably know what I'm talking about.

Below is something you may not have thought of. The result of 40 years of having a knife in your right hand. (I admit it's a source of pride.)

Holly words salty, I just got in to my 11 th year of cooking professionals and I am thinking in change my career because of the things you mentioned up here!!your words gave me some more confidence!! Tk you
Cheers Matteo

Naive questions from a non-pro (the first is dead serious, the second not so :) )

"you cook to live. Not the other way around." ... won't that exact attitude make a disaffected cynic?

"keep the drinking and drugs in control" ... So in case someone is SxE, they need to start drinking and taking drugs in order to get them under control?

Any Shokugeki watchers/readers that felt reminded of Doujima Gin? :)

An old man once told me that the secret to longevity was to not smoke or drink too much but also to not smoke or drink too little.

That being said I haven't been doing either lately. Moderation is not always as easy as it sounds.

Naive questions from a non-pro (the first is dead serious, the second not so :) )

"you cook to live. Not the other way around." ... won't that exact attitude make a disaffected cynic?

"keep the drinking and drugs in control" ... So in case someone is SxE, they need to start drinking and taking drugs in order to get them under control?

Any Shokugeki watchers/readers that felt reminded of Doujima Gin? :)

The short answer is yes.

Back