Mystery Japanese Waterstone. Soak time uncertain. Kanji help needed.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_Hall

Reaction score
My friend got this Japanese waterstone as a gift, and she's teaching herself how to sharpen her knives. I mentioned to her that soaking time is highly variable: some stones are splash-and-go, some are 15 minute soakers, and some are happiest living in a bucket of water. She doesn't know the brand of the waterstone, and she can't read the kanji to to figure out how long to soak it. She doesn't want to wear it down prematurely, so she's hoping to find out what kind of stone it is, and how long to soak it. Anybody recognize it, or can anyone read the instructions on the box? Here are some pics of the box it came in? Thanks!

wj0W6Wb.jpg

3Iwm6Wc.jpg

Google translate says to soak for 3 minutes

kanji appears to be tonjiro. 3 mins soak as per the box as well.

kanji appears to be tonjiro. 3 mins soak as per the box as well.[/QUOTE

Thanks! Do you mean Tojiro or Tonjiro? Tojiro would definitely make sense because that's the brand of the knives that she has.

Thanks! She'll be glad to know that she hasn't been under-soaking it.

It's a naniwa stone. They use that picture of the angle and bubbles on a lot of their stuff

Interesting that they're Naniwa. Obviously an entry level stone, but a lot of bang for the buck at $30 for a 1000/3000 combo. They should be a decent set of starter stones for her. People make fun of Tojiro, but I'd take a Tojiro gyuto sharpened on a entry level Naniwa combo-stone over about 99.999% of knives on the planet.

Interesting that they're Naniwa. Obviously an entry level stone, but a lot of bang for the buck at $30 for a 1000/3000 combo. They should be a decent set of starter stones for her. People make fun of Tojiro, but I'd take a Tojiro gyuto sharpened on a entry level Naniwa combo-stone over about 99.999% of knives on the planet.

Who makes fun of Tojiro? I *wish* more people that I know in-person would know about a knife like Tojiro

Latest posts

Back