special request

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarfrat

Reaction score
content.php

We had one lady who was a conference service manager at my old job vegetarian, not allergy, strawberry allergy, lactose intolerant and gluten free. Hated my life whenever she'd dine with a client.

We had one lady who was a conference service manager at my old job vegetarian, not allergy, strawberry allergy, lactose intolerant and gluten free. Hated my life whenever she'd dine with a client.

I suppose we could add hypochondriac to that list?

@foody518 or pure MSG :)

The amateur celiac* and smoothiehead crowds is making everyone confused about vegans and vegetarians ..... the rest of us loves gluten, both prepared pure (modern Seitan and classic chinese ways) and in a good bread or yeast dumpling; we're considering getting one of these vacuum blenders to not make a smoothie but larger-than-life tomato sauces; the rest of the veg we rather saute than blend. And nuts? They are a food group of their own.

@Godslayer Did that lady come with a peanut and coconut allergy, or even worse with a soy allergy on top of that? Otherwise, sounds easy - there's a boatload of chinese, thai, south indian, japanese options....

Oh btw, the artist that drew that comic is vegan himself.

*no offense meant to those that actually are celiac or intolerant. It's a different group I'm being intentionally offensive to here.

I feel for all the chefs out there who have to deal with this nonsense every day. I only had to deal with on on the occassional holidays when I hosted a family member who was "allergic" to eggs, wheat and dairy but somehow managed to tolerate cake and coffee with cream.

@Life, what irks me as someone who is getting to be pretty near to completely lactose intolerant is how much attention and extra catering is done to the gluten free crowd despite the probably 2-10x fewer of the population that actually has any gluten issues.
And...I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't fall back on Asian cuisine (well, most of it).

@TheCaptain - that relative...fail...

People faking allergies is a consequence of cooks ignoring wishes concerning things they want or don't want in their food. One too many chef bragging publicly about how they're getting back on their customers by lying....

Celiac, or a true allergy, is different to lactose intolerance regarding consequences of contamination, and regarding non-gradual effects...

People wanting to be in control about something they PUT INSIDE THEMSELVES is not wrong.

@foody518 might have to do with gluten-rich food being, guess what, heavy on the stomach, and people mistaking the fact you're getting very full when overeating on it for symptoms of intolerance :) Or maybe it has to do with the name sounding so similar to glutamate?

My pet peeve stays the conflation the public eye of gluten free, raw, organic, and vegetarian/vegan food - guess what, a gluten free version of a foodstuff is LESS likely to be any of the others, and very often violates the five ingredient rule (which I find a wise guide for the shopper ;) ) ...

"You're voluntarily gluten free, and have rather carb oriented eating habits? Where do YOU get your protein?" ;)

Also, the conflation religion, politics, health, lifestyle (though I am not saying lifestyle choices should never be political! To the contrary...)

@Life, Contamination is a real concern, but recently I've been learning the hard way just how much incidental dairy products are in various snacks, sweets, and sauces. When the lactose in the bonito 'Hondashi' stuff and the little milk product in a snack sized bag of oyster crackers and in small amounts of butter is enough to upset digestion...it's not good to have a chronically impaired gut even if it isn't a true 'allergy'.

@foody518 might have to do with gluten-rich food being, guess what, heavy on the stomach, and people mistaking the fact you're getting very full when overeating on it for symptoms of intolerance :) Or maybe it has to do with the name sounding so similar to glutamate?

My pet peeve stays the conflation the public eye of gluten free, raw, organic, and vegetarian/vegan food - guess what, a gluten free version of a foodstuff is LESS likely to be any of the others, and very often violates the five ingredient rule (which I find a wise guide for the shopper ;) ) ...

"You're voluntarily gluten free, and have rather carb oriented eating habits? Where do YOU get your protein?" ;)

Also, the conflation religion, politics, health, lifestyle (though I am not saying lifestyle choices should never be political! To the contrary...)

IMO there's a large overlap of 'high gluten' foods, or at least the public perception of what that is/means, and also 'high added sugars' and 'oil rich' foods. I wouldn't consider a typical pizza or donut to be high gluten in the way that a simple loaf of bread is. As a side note - a cheeseless pizza is one of the saddest looking foods...

I didn't ever get the MSG freakout. Then again, I grew up on soy sauce being used as the main salting and flavor agent for home cooking XD

Protein - beans, grains, etc., no?

Of course, but gluten is regularly misunderstood - it is protein, not of the quality in meat or legumes but if it's not bad for you it's good for you!

Latest posts

Back