Greetings from Singapore

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gshen

Reaction score
Greetings from Singapore!

Been spending lots of time reading the forums and geeking out about all things sharp. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge!

I've got a good start thanks to lurking here for awhile now -already have a CCK slicer, Watanabe 210 gyuto, tanaka 190 ginsanko gyuto and 150mm petty plus a whole bunch of stones.

I hope this hobby doesn't get too expensive for a simple home cook who prepares weekly dinners for a group of good friends..

Welcome.

I know of one good jknife shop in Singapore. Prices tend to be on the high side

Welcome.

Nice collection. How do you like the Wat?

And you might as well give up any pre conceived notions of financial restraint now. You are officially in the rabbit hole :D

Welcome.

Nice collection. How do you like the Wat?

And you might as well give up any pre conceived notions of financial restraint now. You are officially in the rabbit hole :D

The Watanabe was a housewarming gift from my chef brother - easily the best knife I have, but it's been chipping quite easily despite fairly gentle use. Probably need to go easy on the sharpening angles.

The Watanabe was a housewarming gift from my chef brother - easily the best knife I have, but it's been chipping quite easily despite fairly gentle use. Probably need to go easy on the sharpening angles.

Cool housewarming gift! Cool brother!

Any trouble with rust in the tropics?

What chopping board do you use? Which cutting techniques?

Maybe add a microbevel?

Thanks for the warm welcome, all!

Cool housewarming gift! Cool brother!

Any trouble with rust in the tropics?

What chopping board do you use? Which cutting techniques?

Maybe add a microbevel?

Well I've never used a carbon steel knife outside of the tropics, but it does rust easily if you so much as leave a wee bit of water on the knife..

I use a huge Tembusu wood (local to Southeast Asia) end grain cutting board purchased from Razorsharp in Singapore. And I use push cuts and chops!

Yean, good idea not to leave any water on the carbon steel knives :D

Sounds like a microbevel might be worth trying. Most people suggest a 45 degree microbevel on the right side only (assuming you are a righty) made with the finest stone in your progression (usually 4-6K for J knives). Then deburr at the original left bevel angle. Look at the JKI video on microbevels (Jon is great at distilling complex skills down to managable portions).

Back