Need help identifying

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pointue

Reaction score
Hi, I recently picked up this elderly blade at a thrift shop for a mere $10. It is in excellent condition, takes and holds an fine edge. While it slices veg and meats easily, my feeling is it has a specialized purpose. There are no identifying marks on it anywhere, it is 11 inches long. I have no provenance on this whatsoever. I live on Vancouver Island BC where a lot of people who have been world travellers retire and speculate it may have come from somewhere in Europe.

Any help which may be provided is appreciated.

Cheers;

Welcome to the forums. You need to host the picture on a site like imgur.com and copy the direct link and click the insert picture icon and paste the link there.

Hi, I recently picked up this elderly blade at a thrift shop for a mere $10. It is in excellent condition, takes and holds an fine edge. While it slices veg and meats easily, my feeling is it has a specialized purpose. There are no identifying marks on it anywhere, it is 11 inches long. I have no provenance on this whatsoever. I live on Vancouver Island BC where a lot of people who have been world travellers retire and speculate it may have come from somewhere in Europe.

Any help which may be provided is appreciated.

Cheers;

Hmm. Guess I need to figure out how to post a pic. Will get back when I do. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums. You need to host the picture on a site like imgur.com and copy the direct link and click the insert picture icon and paste the link there.

Thanks. I'll try to figure that out. Not very computer savvy. :)

No problem always happy to help. Let's hope someone can identify that knife now. Any markings on the knife what so ever?

The shape looks like it's a skinning knife...

In the beef skinning models you have a curved blade that allows for full cut motion, especially up towards the front which is important during skinning. The blades are wide and usually around 6 inches in length.

Modern one for comparison

image.jpeg

Looks like an amateur-made piece...I doubt it was made for kitchen duty, but if it floats your boat, enjoy!
Any chance for some closer pics near the handle/cutting edge junction and the handle pins?
-Mark

The shape looks like it's a skinning knife...

In the beef skinning models you have a curved blade that allows for full cut motion, especially up towards the front which is important during skinning. The blades are wide and usually around 6 inches in length.

Modern one for comparison

View attachment 34647

Thanks. Good info.

Cheers

Looks like an amateur-made piece...I doubt it was made for kitchen duty, but if it floats your boat, enjoy!
Any chance for some closer pics near the handle/cutting edge junction and the handle pins?
-Mark

Thanks. Could be a one of alright. I'll get those additional pics soon as I can.

Cheers

Back