Quantcast
OK, I need a Gyuto - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK, I need a Gyuto

Any of the Sakai White#2 carbon steel knives would fit the bill and they are all awesome: Yusuke, Ashi Ginga, Konosuke...

I have a Yusuke (240 Wa-gyuto) and an Ashi Ginga (225 chuka bocho/Chinese cleaver) in White#2 and the steel is just phenomenal!

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Oh yeah.

Wait, what was the budget again?
    The budget is flexible. If everyone agreed that a particular knife is the standout in the category but cost a bunch more, I would be interested.

K
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post
    Marko's gonna make some killer knives for sure - but his style isn't "thin", which I thought OP preferred?
    oh - apparently i also didn't know that the budget was ... pliable. Marko might be a good thought if you do wa- and can wait. And just in case i'm spreading false information - it's not that Marko's knives are going to be "thick" - knowing what I know about Marko (which is actually only a little) - I'd be willing to guess that he's he's probably tried every possible combination of spine-to-edge taper on the planet to find the absolute most efficient combination to make a knife with a 3mm spine cut like a 2mm spine. The problem: he's done taking orders 'til the new year - PT him if interested (he has his own subforum).

The 270mm ebony and blond ferrule handled Konosuke HD looks .

Quote Originally Posted by macmiddlebrooks View Post
    The 270mm ebony and blond ferrule handled Konosuke HD looks .
    270mm Konosuke HD with a stefan handle looks good, too

Sorry ... couldn't help myself but to show off stefan's/dave's work!

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculously amazing, thanks for making me drool . One day perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    The budget is flexible. If everyone agreed that a particular knife is the standout in the category but cost a bunch more, I would be interested.

K
    If it is at all in the cards, go custom.

You will not regret it. Every custom knife I've handled from the guys with subforums here has been in a class apart from production-run stuff.

Pick a guy who's style you like and talk to him. I mean it, you will have a knife that makes you think of more ingredients to cook with!

oh - apparently i also didn't know that the budget was ... pliable. Marko might be a good thought if you do wa- and can wait. And just in case i'm spreading false information - it's not that Marko's knives are going to be "thick" - knowing what I know about Marko (which is actually only a little) - I'd be willing to guess that he's he's probably tried every possible combination of spine-to-edge taper on the planet to find the absolute most efficient combination to make a knife with a 3mm spine cut like a 2mm spine. The problem: he's done taking orders 'til the new year - PT him if interested (he has his own subforum).
    Marko's knives are pretty thin.

And spine thickness has relatively little affect on cutting ability.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

Keith
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

What is that handle made of?

+ Reply to Thread