OK, I need a Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Neal

Reaction score
You guys have convinced me that I must have a gyuto. This forum is going to cost me!

Factors:

To replace a Shun Classic 8" chef's knife for home use. The
Shun now seems clunky and awkward.

My little Carter funayuki has convinced me that I require
a nice thin Gyuto that can be kept razor sharp. I love the
Carter for little jobs, but need a general purpose, full size
knife for larger jobs.

I have a Masamoto yanagiba, Ichimonji kiritsuki and the Carter.
I like to sharpen and care for carbon steel, and keep my knives
in immaculate condition.

I like simple, functional but top quality tools. Simple but nice wood.
Fortunately, I have not yet learned to appreciate damascus.
A nice finish is fine.

Have I left anything important out?

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Keith

You just described a Sakai Yusuke gyuto in white steel. Wa (Ho and Ichii wood) and Yo-handled, 210-270mm versions from bluewayjapan on ebay.

You like that Carter.... He sells full size knives.

Jon could get you a pretty sweet 240 Konosuke in carbon with an ebony handle. That's pretty hard to beat for a simple elegant solution. For a few bucks less he has one in stock in white #2 with the standard handle (which is still pretty nice). They have nice F&F as well.

The trend seems to be away from super thin, although it's hard to ignore how much fun thin can be.

If you have time to wait and a $400 budget I'd get on the next Martell preorder. You wont regret it! Anything konosuke is good too or geshin ginga from jki

Why not Masamoto KS? Thin, elegant, prestigious. Handle is simple, but you can pick different color ferrules from JCK....

Marko's gonna make some killer knives for sure - but his style isn't "thin", which I thought OP preferred?

If you're looking for a carbon laser the Sakai Yusuke knives are very good and aren't super expensive. I'd either get one of those or a Konosuke

If you're as kind to your knives as you make it sound, I would consider the Kochi lines.

Any of the Sakai White#2 carbon steel knives would fit the bill and they are all awesome: Yusuke, Ashi Ginga, Konosuke...

I have a Yusuke (240 Wa-gyuto) and an Ashi Ginga (225 chuka bocho/Chinese cleaver) in White#2 and the steel is just phenomenal!

Oh yeah. :slaphead:

Wait, what was the budget again?

The budget is flexible. If everyone agreed that a particular knife is the standout in the category but cost a bunch more, I would be interested.

K

Marko's gonna make some killer knives for sure - but his style isn't "thin", which I thought OP preferred?
oh - apparently i also didn't know that the budget was ... pliable. Marko might be a good thought if you do wa- and can wait. And just in case i'm spreading false information - it's not that Marko's knives are going to be "thick" - knowing what I know about Marko (which is actually only a little) - I'd be willing to guess that he's he's probably tried every possible combination of spine-to-edge taper on the planet to find the absolute most efficient combination to make a knife with a 3mm spine cut like a 2mm spine. The problem: he's done taking orders 'til the new year - PT him if interested (he has his own subforum).

The 270mm ebony and blond ferrule handled Konosuke HD looks :eek2:.
270mm Konosuke HD with a stefan handle looks good, too
p1010007.jpg

Sorry ... couldn't help myself but to show off stefan's/dave's work!

p1010007.jpg

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculously amazing, thanks for making me drool :). One day perhaps...

The budget is flexible. If everyone agreed that a particular knife is the standout in the category but cost a bunch more, I would be interested.

K

If it is at all in the cards, go custom.

You will not regret it. Every custom knife I've handled from the guys with subforums here has been in a class apart from production-run stuff.

Pick a guy who's style you like and talk to him. I mean it, you will have a knife that makes you think of more ingredients to cook with!

oh - apparently i also didn't know that the budget was ... pliable. Marko might be a good thought if you do wa- and can wait. And just in case i'm spreading false information - it's not that Marko's knives are going to be "thick" - knowing what I know about Marko (which is actually only a little) - I'd be willing to guess that he's he's probably tried every possible combination of spine-to-edge taper on the planet to find the absolute most efficient combination to make a knife with a 3mm spine cut like a 2mm spine. The problem: he's done taking orders 'til the new year - PT him if interested (he has his own subforum).

Marko's knives are pretty thin.

And spine thickness has relatively little affect on cutting ability.

p1010007.jpg

What is that handle made of?

Latest posts

Back