experience on Mizuno Tanrenjo knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freedom188

Reaction score
hi guys am planning to purchase a mizuno tanrenjo knife do u guys hae any feedback on his knifes

I know @Nemo has a Miz Hontanren, he loves his is every imaginable way. I'm sure he can shine light on performance etc.

There is one 24cm blue 2, Kasumi, 225$ by Iceman91 on B/S/T

I have a petty for what it's worth. Cuts very well but quite reactive for my liking.

I know @Nemo has a Miz Hontanren, he loves his is every imaginable way. I'm sure he can shine light on performance etc.

I indeed have the wide bevel Akitada Hontanren in aogami 2. You can also get a standard bevel version which I've never used and I don't know if it performs the same. I wouldn't say I love it in EVERY imaginible way but it is a very good knife. Mine has quite a workhorse grind, with generous convexity on the right side. From reading other members' reports, the thickness of the grind seems a little variable. Fit & finish was ok. Spine & choil were eased but I eased them a bit more. Mine came with a nice ebony handle. The finish seems to be about 600 to 800 grit. OOTB sharpness was... not very. Reactivity is very managable. It has very good food release, but you do need to experiment with the finish to achieve this (I found a Chosera 3k finish is better than 1K for the wide bevel). It is fairly thin behind the edge considering its thickness. But it's certainly not a laser. I notice some wedging when compating it to my thinner knives. I named it "Zucchini Slayer" during our recent zucchini excess because it deals really well with wet produce (like zucchini and potato). It's easy to get sharp and stays that way for many weeks of home use, with the occasional strop. Note thst the wide bevel version seems to like a sort of two sided hamguriba sharpening, which was actually pretty easy to learn.

I'm sure it's not the best workhorse out there but IMO it's a pretty good one at a fairly reasonable price.

Hope this helps.

hi nemo is miz hontanren knife that can handle most tasks without a problem knife that can handle any task without being afraid of chipping it or breaking the tip if I am not careful. anzd how is the profile of the knife i try using kato workhorse it doesnt suit me well

I don't baby mine. I'd call it a workhorse. Having said that of course you can chip it if you bang it on something hard.

The tip is in proportion to the knife: thinner than the spine at the heel but thicker than my thinner knives' tips.

Mine is sharpened hamguriba with an inclusive angle of I guess somewhere around 15 degrees, so it has a microbevel. Good edge rerention and no microchipping with this configuration.

The profile IIRC (not at home so can't see it right now) is fairly flat for the first half, then a shallow curve up to a low tip.

What was the problem with the Kato?

Yeah looks like a good buy. Note that this is not the wide bevel so I don't know how similar its geometry and performance is to mine. Still, I suspect it's a very good knife though.

kato workhorse its profile does not suit me well and i notice minor chipping on it sometime after using it to cut hard vege

I have a non-wide bevel blue 2 Miz in 270 length. It's one of my go-to knives. It sharpens very easily, and holds it very well. It doesn't feel as fragile on the edge as some of my other knives sharpened to the same primary bevel angle (my Shiro Kamo R2 or my Heiji carbon, for instance). I think it walks a fine line between a laser and a workhorse (comparing it to my considerably heavier Watanabe Pro 270). I don't like using it on harder things like carrots, beetroot - that's Watanabe territory, and maybe matches Nemo's findings regarding mild wedging. But it flies through softer stuff and chiffonades are effortless. The stiction is quite good and reactivity is middle-of-the-road, as far as I know within my limited experience.
I can't see anyone being disappointed with this - but it may not be 'the knife to rule them all'.

Just to be clear, the subtle wedging is very subtle. Really only detectable when comparing directly (sie by side) to a very thin knife. Nothing like the wedging you get with a Wustie or similar. You will get this minor level of wedging in pretty much any knife that's not very thin IME.

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1487809674.923489.jpg

Just want to check with you guys what do u think abt mizuno honyakis are they worth the money

I indeed have the wide bevel Akitada Hontanren in aogami 2. You can also get a standard bevel version which I've never used and I don't know if it performs the same. I wouldn't say I love it in EVERY imaginible way but it is a very good knife. Mine has quite a workhorse grind, with generous convexity on the right side. From reading other members' reports, the thickness of the grind seems a little variable. Fit & finish was ok. Spine & choil were eased but I eased them a bit more. Mine came with a nice ebony handle. The finish seems to be about 600 to 800 grit. OOTB sharpness was... not very. Reactivity is very managable. It has very good food release, but you do need to experiment with the finish to achieve this (I found a Chosera 3k finish is better than 1K for the wide bevel). It is fairly thin behind the edge considering its thickness. But it's certainly not a laser. I notice some wedging when compating it to my thinner knives. I named it "Zucchini Slayer" during our recent zucchini excess because it deals really well with wet produce (like zucchini and potato). It's easy to get sharp and stays that way for many weeks of home use, with the occasional strop. Note thst the wide bevel version seems to like a sort of two sided hamguriba sharpening, which was actually pretty easy to learn.

I'm sure it's not the best workhorse out there but IMO it's a pretty good one at a fairly reasonable price.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the review, was wondering the same thing, very helpful!

:doublethumbsup:

Thanks for the review, was wondering the same thing, very helpful!

:doublethumbsup:

No problems.

I should point out that when I say it has good food release, this is in relation to my other (mostly thinner) knives. I haven't used a Kato or similar style workhorse to compare.

Back