Help identifying cast iron skillet

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capslockpirate

Reaction score
Hey everyone, could use some help identifying the maker of this skillet, 5 or so years ago when my grandparents passed, we found this in the basement. I cleaned, seasoned it back up and have been using it ever since. No markings besides the number 8 on the bottom.

Photos here: https://goo.gl/photos/2snyELGSrhazRoL48

Thanks!

Hard to say, but looks like a Griswold from (roughly) the 1940's.

It is a three notch Lodge. Made before they started putting their name on it.

Could be as early as 1940s as late as 1970s

Triple notch inset heat ring with size # at 12 oclock opposite handle, no other markings = Lodge circa 1940s?

Lodge Manufacturing Co.

1940s-1987
- Skillets have inset heat ring with 3 notches at 9/12/3 o'clock.
- Pattern identifying marks incised at 6 o'clock or raised shift identifier on a small flat blob of metal above the size number at 12 o'clock (1940s-50s)

If it has a machined, smooth interior surface, it is early. If it is the cast surface inside, it is a later model. This one appears to have the later cast surface, or it is badly pitted from rust. Also, the early cast iron pans were thinner and lighter, prior to automation when the molds were formed by hand.

Triple notch inset heat ring with size # at 12 oclock opposite handle, no other markings = Lodge circa 1940s?

Lodge Manufacturing Co.

1940s-1987
- Skillets have inset heat ring with 3 notches at 9/12/3 o'clock.
- Pattern identifying marks incised at 6 o'clock or raised shift identifier on a small flat blob of metal above the size number at 12 o'clock (1940s-50s)

Awesome, thanks!

If it has a machined, smooth interior surface, it is early. If it is the cast surface inside, it is a later model. This one appears to have the later cast surface, or it is badly pitted from rust. Also, the early cast iron pans were thinner and lighter, prior to automation when the molds were formed by hand.

Don't remember how much rust there was, don't think it required too much clean up, so it probably is the latter. Pan is 4.7 lbs (light compared to my new lodge, which is a full pound lighter.)

Nice job on the cleanup. I love lodge and am a little jealous that you have this kind of history. My grandma gave all hers away before I was born when the "better" aluminum and steel pans came out. She never understood why I wanted cookware that could rust.

Nice job on the cleanup. I love lodge and am a little jealous that you have this kind of history. My grandma gave all hers away before I was born when the "better" aluminum and steel pans came out. She never understood why I wanted cookware that could rust.

Sad to hear someone would just give away cast iron for stainless steel :(

I'm glad I snagged this pan before one of my cousins did, I use it every day now.

Sad to hear someone would just give away cast iron for stainless steel :(

I'm glad I snagged this pan before one of my cousins did, I use it every day now.

She gave birth 18 times and raised 13 children to adulthood. I can't even begin to imagine what it was like to feed that crowd as a tiny (like about 5 feet) woman hauling big heavy cast iron around using a wood burning stove for most of my dad's childhood. It must have been like heaven to finally be able to afford lighter, easier to maintain cookware when it became affordable.

I kinda get it. Not getting any younger myself and some of my larger lodge dutch ovens are getting more and more difficult for me to manage. Since I only have one child I'll probably start getting rid of some of my heavier cookware soon as well.

Latest posts

Back