Quantcast
FS: Carter SFGZ deba 5.7sun
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Carter SFGZ deba 5.7sun

FS: Carter SFGZ deba 5.7sun

O.k., my car mechanic said I should sell a few knives so he can buy more booze. I'll offer a few, here is the first one:

Carter SFGZ deba, 5.7 sun, blue steel, double beveled, standard ho handle with horn ferrule. This is almost a collectors' item. I have only seen two of them, ever, Murray does not seem to make them very often. Only selling because I find I rarely use it and have more knives than cash. In fact, I have played around a bit and taken apart one T-day turkey in the past years with it, that's all. I think you could also cut down trees with it, but I haven't tried it out... $320 Shipped in the US.

Click image for larger version

Name:	deba_2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1980Click image for larger version

Name:	deba_1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1981

Oh, and for a total of $450 I will stick this koa handle on it, it's almost exactly the same size as the original handle:

Click image for larger version

Name:	koa handle.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1982

I will also offer a lightly used Nenox S1 suji 230 with the quince handle for $320 ($481 new), the Nenox honesuki from Korin with the snakewood handle for $220 (with quince wood $393 new), and a Steve Mullin Pack River 8" ATS-34 (I think) chef knife for $125, just haven't taken pictures, yet.

Stefan

who has been posting pictures on forums for 10 years but can't figure this one out, somehow...

Gotta love when the handlemeister sells some sharps.

WOW! Some sweet knives and awesome handles. Is that Carter deba clad or mono-steel? That would be one BIG chunk o' blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    WOW! Some sweet knives and awesome handles. Is that Carter deba clad or mono-steel? That would be one BIG chunk o' blue.
    The "s" in SFGZ stands for stainless, as in clad.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    And the "fgz" stands for fukugokazaki or something. Still waiting for Salty's pronunciation guide.

I used to have a Steve Mullin Pack River chef knife with a custom handle. I loved that thing. Whatever happened to him?

Thanks guys, stainless cladded blue steel is correct. I don't know whether Steve Mullin is still active. ARizona Custom Knives seems to have some non-kitchen knives, or had them. It really is a very nice knife. I have a Carter that is a touch shorter and a Takeda that is a touch longer, those cover me well enough, otherwise I would definitely keep the Mullin. Here is an older picture, but since I have hardly used it, it's pretty much the same.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mgapicius/469141212/

Oh, the handle is a rosewood, probably cocobolo, and it is not completely shiny, maybe ATS-34 is not totally stainless?

Stefan

i had a earlier 10 in version of this knife with red colored rosewood handles. Gave it to an old sous chef before we parted ways and he lost it in a restaurant fire. I miss that knife. I would jump on this, but I just paid off that set Randy made for me and Del is making me a set also, so I'm done for awhile. good luck.

I'll be happy to trade it for either of the two sets

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I'll be happy to trade it for either of the two sets

Stefan
    yea, no!

+ Reply to Thread