Quantcast
Synthetic Fingerstones - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Synthetic Fingerstones

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Has anyone had a chance to use these stones yet? Any comments or questions?
    Saw this post, realized I ordered the finger stones - they are still in-the-bag
    Really enjoying my new knives the few times I cook at home. This lack of prep activity means the (many) knives stay sharp and prefer not to futz with them just now.
    But I will try the finger stones on the hand-down yanagi that has not been used for a real long time

Quote Originally Posted by TamanegiKin View Post
    Just ordered a set. Looking forward to trying 'em on my nakiri
    They'll be shipping out tomorrow morning, thanks Erik!

Quote Originally Posted by geezr View Post
    Saw this post, realized I ordered the finger stones - they are still in-the-bag
    Really enjoying my new knives the few times I cook at home. This lack of prep activity means the (many) knives stay sharp and prefer not to futz with them just now.
    But I will try the finger stones on the hand-down yanagi that has not been used for a real long time

Let me know what you think when you get around to trying them out.

Used them on ... two blades, I think. I didn't have good contrast to begin with from the stones I used beforehand, so the synthetic fingerstones didn't a whole lot in those two instances. Certainly nowhere close to what I saw them do following a King 800

I'll still have to keep trying with other stones before the fingerstones to see what happens
    Len

I tried my synthetic finger stones a few days ago and had great results. I used them on a Shigefusa gyuto that I removed a forced mustard patina from. I might have gotten a little too aggressive with removing the patina and wanted to restore the finish to something closer to new. I was very pleased with the results though to be honest if I had taken my time a bit more and paid more attention I could have done better. My only complaint with the stones is that for some reason it seemed to leave a somewhat larger scratch every one and a while like a larger piece of grit was breaking of the stone, being trapped between the stone and knife. Not a very noticeable scratch but if I was looking for a professional finish I would be upset. I will continue to experiment to try for even better results, but so far so good. Oh on another note I used the knife for the first time since refinishing and the food release was amazing! 10x better then it was before I had refinished it so great results for function not just looks.

Quote Originally Posted by The hekler View Post
    I tried my synthetic finger stones a few days ago and had great results. I used them on a Shigefusa gyuto that I removed a forced mustard patina from. I might have gotten a little too aggressive with removing the patina and wanted to restore the finish to something closer to new. I was very pleased with the results though to be honest if I had taken my time a bit more and paid more attention I could have done better. My only complaint with the stones is that for some reason it seemed to leave a somewhat larger scratch every one and a while like a larger piece of grit was breaking of the stone, being trapped between the stone and knife. Not a very noticeable scratch but if I was looking for a professional finish I would be upset. I will continue to experiment to try for even better results, but so far so good. Oh on another note I used the knife for the first time since refinishing and the food release was amazing! 10x better then it was before I had refinished it so great results for function not just looks.

Nice, I never tried them that way, thanks for sharing this.

Oh and the scratches will come when the stone needs it's edges rounded over, it's a corner digging in almost always. Just do a quickie rounding every so often when using and this won't be a problem.

Nice, I never tried them that way, thanks for sharing this.

Oh and the scratches will come when the stone needs it's edges rounded over, it's a corner digging in almost always. Just do a quickie rounding every so often when using and this won't be a problem.

Thanks for the tip I wondered if that could have been the cause.

They'll be shipping out tomorrow morning, thanks Erik!
    Awesome, thanks again Dave. I'll be sure to get some before and after shots.

Let me know what you think when you get around to trying them out.
    used finger stones last night - result is a clearly distinct wavy line, very shiny at the edge
    not uniform so will need more work