Quantcast
Synthetic Fingerstones - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Synthetic Fingerstones

Quote Originally Posted by geezr View Post
    ...not uniform so will need more work...
    same here...

Did you guys do the foundation work first or are you just going to the fingerstones? If you did the flattening and all that good stuff first and you see unevenness from the fingerstones they're pointing out unevenness in the bevel...OR....you just need more practice with them.

More practice needed here...and I need to do the foundation work, too. But I did notice a difference. Nice contrast.

Received my set today. I only had twenty minutes to play with 'em today but so far so good.
    I muddied up my king 800 then did my best to polish only the hagane on a gesshin 5K and followed that with my new finger stones. I think will a little more time and some more practice I'll get some cool results. Thanks again for offering these Dave.

Before:

After:

That's pretty good, thanks for sharing your results.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Did you guys do the foundation work first or are you just going to the fingerstones? If you did the flattening and all that good stuff first and you see unevenness from the fingerstones they're pointing out unevenness in the bevel...OR....you just need more practice with them.
    just jumped right to the finger stones - the hand-down yanagi has been used and sharpened before but shows some uneven areas - still there is distinct contrast.....

I spent more time at 1k and it's coming out better.

Quote Originally Posted by The hekler View Post
    I used them on a Shigefusa gyuto that I removed a forced mustard patina from. .... My only complaint with the stones is that for some reason it seemed to leave a somewhat larger scratch every one and a while like a larger piece of grit was breaking of the stone, being trapped between the stone and knife. Not a very noticeable scratch but if I was looking for a professional finish I would be upset.
    I'm not sure if you have the same finish I do, but the shige that I have has these fine, hair-like lines in the face, running laterally--from handle to tip--and my fingerstones don't remove them. I'm not sure what they are exactly because of how they behave(strangely), but they are there, and Dr. Naka said they are one of the little distinctions of Iizuka san's work. What are the odds this is what you are looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    I'm not sure if you have the same finish I do, but the shige that I have has these fine, hair-like lines in the face, running laterally--from handle to tip--and my fingerstones don't remove them. I'm not sure what they are exactly because of how they behave(strangely), but they are there, and Dr. Naka said they are one of the little distinctions of Iizuka san's work. What are the odds this is what you are looking at?

I think I know exactly what you are talking about and you may have answered a question thy I haven't yet figured out how to ask and I thank you. I do have odd lines on that one gyuto that I think are what you are talking about. These are not what I would call "hair like" they are thicker and seem to be in the actual steel of the knife not just the finish. Also where the finish runs perfectly straight these lines seem to follow the shape of the spine. Are these what you are talking about? The lines I was talking about in the above post were scratches Which I am convinced were left as Dave pointed out by me not rounding off the edges. It is odd though the lines that I think you are talking about are only on one of my three shigefusa's at first I thought they had something to do with the forced patina but the more I look at then the more natural to the knife they seem.

+ Reply to Thread