• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Carter SFGZ deba 5.7sun

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
O.k., my car mechanic said I should sell a few knives so he can buy more booze. I'll offer a few, here is the first one:

Carter SFGZ deba, 5.7 sun, blue steel, double beveled, standard ho handle with horn ferrule. This is almost a collectors' item. I have only seen two of them, ever, Murray does not seem to make them very often. Only selling because I find I rarely use it and have more knives than cash. In fact, I have played around a bit and taken apart one T-day turkey in the past years with it, that's all. I think you could also cut down trees with it, but I haven't tried it out... $320 Shipped in the US.

469142686_13729c74b8_z.jpg
deba_2.jpgdeba_1.jpg

Oh, and for a total of $450 I will stick this koa handle on it, it's almost exactly the same size as the original handle:

ppENq72ycCEAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
koa handle.jpg

I will also offer a lightly used Nenox S1 suji 230 with the quince handle for $320 ($481 new), the Nenox honesuki from Korin with the snakewood handle for $220 (with quince wood $393 new), and a Steve Mullin Pack River 8" ATS-34 (I think) chef knife for $125, just haven't taken pictures, yet.

Stefan

who has been posting pictures on forums for 10 years but can't figure this one out, somehow...

WOW! Some sweet knives and awesome handles. Is that Carter deba clad or mono-steel? That would be one BIG chunk o' blue.

WOW! Some sweet knives and awesome handles. Is that Carter deba clad or mono-steel? That would be one BIG chunk o' blue.
The "s" in SFGZ stands for stainless, as in clad.

I used to have a Steve Mullin Pack River chef knife with a custom handle. I loved that thing. Whatever happened to him?:scratchhead:

Thanks guys, stainless cladded blue steel is correct. I don't know whether Steve Mullin is still active. ARizona Custom Knives seems to have some non-kitchen knives, or had them. It really is a very nice knife. I have a Carter that is a touch shorter and a Takeda that is a touch longer, those cover me well enough, otherwise I would definitely keep the Mullin. Here is an older picture, but since I have hardly used it, it's pretty much the same.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mgapicius/469141212/

Oh, the handle is a rosewood, probably cocobolo, and it is not completely shiny, maybe ATS-34 is not totally stainless?

Stefan

i had a earlier 10 in version of this knife with red colored rosewood handles. Gave it to an old sous chef before we parted ways and he lost it in a restaurant fire. I miss that knife. I would jump on this, but I just paid off that set Randy made for me and Del is making me a set also, so I'm done for awhile. good luck.

I'll be happy to trade it for either of the two sets ;)

Stefan

Thanks if I hadn't just bought a knife here today I would have heavily considered buying this one. Hell if it sticks around for a week or two I just might, but I can't see it lasting that long.

I will also offer a lightly used Nenox S1 suji 230 with the quince handle for $320 ($481 new)
Man-o-man - haven't seen anyone rave about the Nenox 230 suji in a while - and given all the love that 180 and 210 petties get around here, I'm sure this'll go to someone.

The "s" in SFGZ stands for stainless, as in clad.

Thanks, I forgot about Carter's abbreviated naming system... I should have known that...durrr. Its just that i couldn't see the lamentation line and tbe stainless looks pretty dark.

I actualy kinda amazed that it hasnt sold yet.

Thanks, I forgot about Carter's abbreviated naming system... I should have known that...durrr. Its just that i couldn't see the lamentation line and tbe stainless looks pretty dark.

I actualy kinda amazed that it hasnt sold yet.
Haha. That's "lamination" line and yeah, it's not too obvious. It looks like the whole thing has a matte finish on it or something.

O.k., the Carter deba is pending, and the Mullin knife might be also, I am waiting for the confirmation mail. Thanks everyone. I will probably put up the Nenox knives in a new thread.

Stefan

Mullin chef knife sold.

Stefan

Carter deba is sold, thanks!

Stefan

Back