Media Mounted My Stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hattorichop

Reaction score
So I decided to take Jon's advice and mount my stones to some granite bases. The granite I used is called "black riverbed", the dimensions are 9"x3 1/4"x3/4". Here's a photo!
IMG_3236.jpg
[/IMG]

Cool! Where did you get the granite and what kind of adhesive did you use??

I got the granite from a granite shop in town. I got a good deal on some remnant pieces, 6 for $60 but they threw in 2 extra.
I used a clear waterproof epoxy to mount the stones.

I gotta get me some! What dimensions are your pieces?

Great solution! One could also get 12" square tile and cut them, but this is an elegant approach!

very nice looking... i think that will help you really get the most out of your stones... especially the more fragile ones

Nice job..looks great; but why not just use a stone holder?

I was having a problem with the chosera's cracking. So far I've had 2 1000grit and 1 5000 grit crack on me. The man who I bought them from though at first it was due to the extreme cold weather we were experiencing when they were shipped. Then the replacement 1000 cracked and now they think it might be a couagulant problem with the magnese bonding. The retailer said he has sold hundreds of these stones and I'm the only one to ever have issues so I decided to take steps to help prevent this from happening in the future. I always soak the stones in room temp water for about 10 to 15 mins, I then use the stones on a flat surface and let them dry out at room temp for a couple of days. When I'm confident that they are dry I would store them in their original box. I'm not sure what I've been doing wrong, if anything at all but hopefully this should eliminate any future cracking!

I've heard of the 5k's being the main cracker in the Chosera line up but I've heard of a few others as well. I would strongly advise anyone buying Choseras to purchase only stones on bases OR mount them like this before use. These stones are too expensive to have them fall apart on you.

Nice bases here HC! :thumbsup:

I've heard of the 5k's being the main cracker in the Chosera line up but I've heard of a few others as well. I would strongly advise anyone buying Choseras to purchase only stones on bases OR mount them like this before use. These stones are too expensive to have them fall apart on you.

Nice bases here HC! :thumbsup:

Thanks Dave, I though they turned out pretty nice myself!

The 5000 was the worst, it cracked at both ends and had a horizontal crack through out the whole stone. The 1000's just has hair line fractures through out the stones.

Nice job!

The only stones I own are GS's, but since I've heard about other stones cracking, I've been thinking about a suitable base material to mount new stones to (when I eventually get them). I was thinking of things like composite decking (like TREX) and Corian (or some other brand of composite counter top material). Granite is by far the best idea!

Did you scuff up the surface of the granite before applying expoxy?

I do the same here. I use West Systems epoxy resin 105 with there 207 clear hardener, it's the best water proof epoxy IMO

I always soak the stones in room temp water for about 10 to 15 mins, I then use the stones on a flat surface and let them dry out at room temp for a couple of days. When I'm confident that they are dry I would store them in their original box. I'm not sure what I've been doing wrong, if anything at all but hopefully this should eliminate any future cracking!

This is exactly how I have been caring for my Choseras, haven't had a problem yet, though they are still young. Luckily there is a kitchen designer in the family who can probably get me some granite scraps, I can't afford the risk of cracking a chosera.

Did you have the supplier cut the granite for you?

This is exactly how I have been caring for my Choseras, haven't had a problem yet, though they are still young. Luckily there is a kitchen designer in the family who can probably get me some granite scraps, I can't afford the risk of cracking a chosera.

Did you have the supplier cut the granite for you?

My stones were pretty new when they started cracking, the supplier sent me new stones as replacements when he found out this was happening.
I did get the supplier to cut them to size for me, I got them to leave the cuts unpolished then I laqured the bottom and sides and this made them look polished.

Latest posts

Back