What did you slice with today?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Customfan

Reaction score
So basically, what did you use today and why? :spiteful:

Damasteel Pierre suji, ironwood and copper...

Had to slice quite a bit of beef, this one just makes the task a breeze!

I love this guy, thin, a little flex (in a good way), great grind and sharpens like a scalpel.... light and has taken the years very well! Shout out to my buddy Pierre! :thumbsup:

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/customfan1/media/IMG_1332_zpsf4885304.jpg.html

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/customfan1/media/IMG_3013_zpsf5669936.jpg.html

My 180mm a type petty did work on a bunch of cooked bone in pork chops tonight. I'm loving it as a line knife, isn't scared of nicking bone during a busy service (even after some pretty heavy thinning) and still flies through green onions on the fly for garnish work, fresh brioche buns, shallot brunoise, whatever I put it up to

16903462_10154537417407832_7942425297918596920_o_zpsvvlr7iza.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My latest, Zu Ku Ran (or something like that) Stainless clad AS. Sliced 30 plus lbs of Prime sirloin coulotte to order. Wanted to use this knife to give the edge that pretty blue patina you get cutting cooked beef. Despite slicing on the crappy board the knife still had a decent edge at the end of the night.

I had to cut some very thin slices of ham, for which I used my 300mm Toyama suji. Love that knife.

Cut up some cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli with my Itinommon 210mm carbon gyuto..

Lars

Ohhh that smoked char should be good!

Used a santoku that I use for small jobs... i've always had a thing for these suisin....

That usuba I use for making thin sheets of daikon for instance for sushi rolls... its a serios piece of hardware! :spin chair:

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s676/customfan1/IMG_1611_zps3c57a592.jpg

P.S. Hi salty! :thumbsup:

That is one cool gyuto....!

This is the link for the first post of the thread...

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s676/customfan1/IMG_1332_zps98390ea4.jpg

Chopped some onion, potato and sweet potato with a 210 tesshu honyaki

Onion, chorizo, cilantro, avacado, garlic, and thai chiles. Made nachos for supper. Used a 240mm tanaka ginsanko.

Watanabe nakiri: shallots, garlic, garlic chives, pressed tofu, preserved sweet radish, lime
Munetoshi butcher to power chop through a bunch of peanuts, palm sugar and dried shrimps

Made my interpretation of Pad Thai

Finally the Fujiwara FKH got to taste some proper meat. No clue what it's called in English; here they call it diamanthaas or jodenhaas (literal translation; diamond loin / jew loin). It's a rather cheap unknown tender part from the front shoulder of the cow.
Fancied it up with a simple mushroom / port sauce.

That aside the rest of my slicing / cutting carreer is pretty boring. Carbonext 240 gyuto every day. Don't have anything else to rotate with. ;)

Akifusa 150 petty to separate the skin from the pork. Carbonext 300mm suji on the crackling and later on the roast. Miz 270 wide bevel on the veggies.

300mm genbu sakimaru for the joy of cutting wantanabe 240 for some squash and sweets takeda honesuki deboning & skinning suckling pig leg. Very good day.

Koishi 240 for onions, mushrooms, and pork tenderloin. Tojiro DP petty for a lemon.

Terayusa Fujiwara Nakiri for onions, garlic and chiles, Takamura Uchigumo 270 for chorizo, a little pancetta, and some potaoes, made chili chorizo perogies with a smoked shiracha creme fraiche :knife: being a hobo has its advantages

Konosuke TB 210 for pork loin. Made Tonkatsu with spicy-miso-sauce with rice.

Yesterday I used my goldeband for slice raw cod, tons of onions, cooked entrcote. It s a San mai ss clad with a core made of 52100. Profile it s similar to the zwillig Kramer, but this knife it s 100 times better!! 😍

1488287063997.jpg

I didn't snap a picture, but my Yaxell Dragon 10" Chef's knife (newly arrived!) was the main utensil that prepped for a lovely Beef Lo Mein we ate while watching the new season of "The Voice" (USA)

Funny thing the knife was OOB so sharp that is sliced right through the beef, allowing a frighteningly thin slice despite the meat being entirely thawed.

Unlike the 8" which really is entirely a big belly rocking knife, the 10" has a broad flat edge for most of it's length that is conducive to chopping. As such, it's a knife far more suited for the way I use it! Though I do love me the rocking action of the 8"! (And the 10" is lighter than my 8" Zwilling Pro S)

That patina is starting to look good preizzo! :doublethumbsup:

Wouldn't mind taking a look at that Yaxell.... Bromo! Pics?

Made a tuna and vegetable alfredo with a baller crust. Sliced the veg with my trusty ittinomonn Cleaver. Was going to sell it on bst but than remembered it's my family and you don't sell family.

Pretty fancy knife for humble brisket but works like a champ

IMG_1433.jpg

For lunch - bacon and onoin with Masamoto KS suji.

For dinner - Cabbage, mushrooms and galic with Itinomonn bunka. Peeled some ginger with a Mac parer.

Lars

16903462_10154537417407832_7942425297918596920_o_zpsvvlr7iza.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My latest, Zu Ku Ran (or something like that) Stainless clad AS. Sliced 30 plus lbs of Prime sirloin coulotte to order. Wanted to use this knife to give the edge that pretty blue patina you get cutting cooked beef. Despite slicing on the crappy board the knife still had a decent edge at the end of the night.

i LOVE THE KNIFE!!! Where did you score that????

Six carrots into roundels .... with a 23cm Victorinox Fibrox carving knife (not the taller chef's knife). I'm still trying to decide how working with a knife that is narrower than a normal chef's knife suits me. Having to stay outside the edge of your board with your knuckles is a bit of a PITA, but one has less trouble with cut produce sticking to and loading up the bladeface.

25LBS of beets for pickling. What can I say, we love beets, their my snack before going to bed. I used a mandolin to slice them, does that count? These beets were from Restaurant Depot and some were bigger than grapefruit. took like 2hrs to boil. The skins were a PIA to remove too. I added salt to the water this time, which I don't usually do. Do you think that the reason why the skins were so hard to remove. Dam near Carpel Tunnel syndrome on my left thumb from scraping. Better add that one to the "Tedious kitchen task" thread. HA

Back