Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: WIP - Forging

Nice! You really took this seriously The mokume looks very nice.

Thanks Matus. More focus on thinning the blade and getting out all the scratches. I put a lot of time into getting the lines on the handle where i wanted them.

This is really nice, you did great.
    It kind of reminds me a bit of Billipp's style.

I do like billipp's knives but never held one. Having made fully polished knives and a few like this i can say this takes a lot more time and consideration, for me at least. I find these more challenging and will likely continue. My bench grinder broke so i finished this one on the old 3x18 belt sander. For $60 that thing can do a lot. Think i might buy a kmg grinder.

Great looking knife! Looks like you're really in the flow with the last couple ones you finished.

How are you experimenting with the handle shape? Also, what are the major differences between this knife and the one you finished last month?

I do like the looks a lot. Both this one and the previous

Quote Originally Posted by milkbaby View Post
    Great looking knife! Looks like you're really in the flow with the last couple ones you finished.

How are you experimenting with the handle shape? Also, what are the major differences between this knife and the one you finished last month?
    The differences are subtle and hard to capture on camera. The lines are cleaner on this one and the cross section is more trapazoidal than the previous one. The swell at the butt is also more pronounced on this one. You might say this handle is more Kardashian.

The blade itself is 209x49 and made from thinner stock than the previous one. The spine is 1mm thick 25mm from the tip. Also, looks like there was some copper left in the forge from the mokume as the blade picked up two little beads of copper. I must have grabbed these during the final stages of heating and straightening.