Options when wa handle hole is bigger than tang.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this new Tanaka I got has a small tang, and my handle has a big hole. Do I just fill the thing with epoxy and hold it in straight? Or can I shove something in the hole to fill the gaps, then epoxy?

2liuct2.jpg

Thanks kkf

The risk with using straight epoxy is that the blade shifts as it sets and the handle doesn't end up in line with the rest of the blade. I would recommend making very small wedges, either one or two to go on the top and bottom of the tang in order to tighten up the fit.

I use blue painters tape around the tang to position it, then epoxy.

You can wrap the tang in paper towels or painter's tape and fill the hole with wax to make the knife fit and then add epoxy only for the last part (a few mm). Or use sugru for that last part. https://sugru.com

glad it worked. The epoxy should help keep the water from getting in.

I would recommend making very small wedges, either one or two to go on the top and bottom of the tang in order to tighten up the fit.

Wooden matchsticks or toothpicks - then, once seated, snap off to length.

THinking abt it again....

I wld prop it up from below so that it is strongly supported esp when u are chopping or rocking ; provided that teh spine level is not above the top handle line.

The bottom part of tang slants upwards and I wld place teh corresponding width and height required into that bottom slot and epoxy that part separately and burn it in for a tight fit and support...
Z

@Jovidah bad comparison, since in these situations you are in trouble when it DOESN'T become unstuck later...

Back