HD with patina/swirls?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDj

Founding Member
Reaction score
So I've been using my HD for a while now, and I've noticed a few things.
#1) I am getting a little bit of blue-ish patina about 2/3 down the blade - no idea which food product it might be from.
#2) I've noted that the knife has some "swirls" or something going on on the blade. At first I thought this was the lacquer. So I used my wife's acetone-containing nail polish remover - but didn't really do anything. It's a pain-in-the-butt to take a picture of, but has anyone else encountered this?

I have no experience with this but I do know if you inhale acetone deeply enough you will see swirls in just about everything!

1. No clue. Mine is slightly darker than my stainless blades.
2. Yes. Every HD blade (many) that I've seen has these swirls and I've seen them on other carbon steel knives. I don't remember seeing any on stainless, for whatever reason.

ok, well now i can stop with the acetone. and the patina is really light, but it is in areas - if i get it to be dark enough to actually be picked up by my crappy camera, i'll post a pic.

My HD has a faint swirling patina just like yours. It doesn't bother me all that much, but if it did I'd try the polish that mark sells.

i don't mind it - just so long as it's normal. don't see much desire to polish it away, as it's probably just come back again.

anyone else think it's weird that now HD implies Konosuke HD, and not Hattori HD?

I have an Konosuke HD blade that I have been using for a couple months now. It has picked up some wisps of patina like you describe. I personally do not have an issue with it. Since it was advertised as semi-stainless I just figured it was normal. If you want, I would bet that it would clean up with some flitz polish.

I didn't like it when my HD's were new, and it almost looked like water spots here and there. But now that I've had them a while and the patina is more even, it looks kinda nice....

It's weird because on carbon blades the patina appears to be on the outside of the steel, but on these semi-stainless, it appears to be embedded.

1. I've never used the Kono. HD but on other carbon knives proteins will leave a blue patina and veggies will leave a brown.
2. no idea

Back