Quantcast
Christmas in October! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christmas in October!

You guys have no idea how much stuff I have like that in boxes. hippo ivory, gemsbok horns, antlers, gems and meteorite iron. unfortunately I live in a NYC apartment and all my stuff is with my grumpy old man in California, who neither has the patience or desire to find or look for anything. I am quite surprised that he looked for the tusks and actually sent them to Randy.lol

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    Eamon,
    about ten or twelve years ago I was given this set by some Native Inuit friends of mine, They couldn't send it to me because of the CITES ban on Walrus ivory, so shipping it to the states would be illegal. However, if the pieces were made into art by Native indigenous Peoples it would be exempt from the ban. They being Inuits and having worked with ivory all their lives decided to make some art work out of it so that they could send it to me. They knew that I wanted to use it for making knife handles and some traditional talismans and pendants, so they decided not to carve it, but to put temporary paint and to apply some silver work to it that would be easy to remove.
    Life got in the way and I put those things away and never touched them again. Every two or three years I find the box and look inside and say I gotta make something with that. Randy's post about the mammoth ivory reminded me about the tusks and since he already was working on my set of knives, I knew he would appreciated using it. So we shall see what comes of it.
    Hope this gives you a little more back ground on the piece. As a Native I would never mess with something of cultural significance,as too much of our stuff is in museums and private collection instead of with the people they belong to.
    Thanks, Sachem Son
    Good to hear.

That is pretty dang cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    Man, you were talking about this....Holy CRAP!!!! I take half of that off your hands to help alleviate the stress of the decision....
    Yea Mike, Thats almost exactly what I said when I opened the box!! lol

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Sachem, Thanks for posting the info.. I was all wrong when I said Alaska! lol

It still wont make it any easier to cut these up. into knife handles.. But I will have to do it!! Im sure that the knives made from them will look extraordinary!

Thanks you and a special thanks to your dad who went out of his way to send them to me. Please tell him Thanks from me!!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

He went elk hunting yesterday with two tore up KNee caps and can barely walk, but he ain't missing his yearly hunt.lol When he gets back I let him know.
    You had it right with Alaska. I should have said that they weren't allowed to ship through the states instead of into the states.

Thats awesome Son. I hope he gets a BIG buck!

Ya know, if getting the walrus wasnt cool enough, Yesterday.. I received a package from Dave.. Yep.. The long awaited Strop kit! Its great..

I stropped Son's Chef knives one more time B4 sending them out this morning..

Availible Knives