Quantcast
Soaking Stones Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soaking Stones Question

Soaking Stones Question

I know on Jon's site he says to change the water frequently if you keep your stones soaked.

How often do you guys change your water?

And do you have two buckets, one for rinsing and one for soaking?

Just wondering. I'm going to try do better at keeping my water fresh.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

i change my the water my frequently used stones are in about 1-2 times a day on average... my less frequently used stones get the water changed at least once a week (often more than that). Pretty much as soon as it doesnt look clean.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    Pretty much as soon as it doesnt look clean.
    same. as soon as any discoloration appears i change the water.

When I was soaking, I'd change the water and clean the bucket every time I used the stones (once every one or two weeks). That gets old if you have big buckets and lots of stones, unless you're a pro. At this point, I probably sharpen something once every couple days at least so having the 1/5k Gesshin combo sitting around is very convenient.

thats a good point about cleaning the container... thats just as important as changing the water

Yeah. I started doing that more often once I realized it was starting to feel slimy.

Here's a related question. I have extermely hard water where I live.
    What are the chances of the stones performance being slighly altered if left soaking in hard water?
    I normally keep my stones dry. I'll start a soak in the morning if I'm going to sharpen that night.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

shouldnt cause too much trouble... just dont let the water evaporate and the minerals build up on your stones

Good question. I've wondered about this myself. So far, I don't know of anyone that's noticed a difference. Someone did point out in a previous thread that the abrasives in the stone are much harder than the salt deposits from the water so the effect, if any should be minimal.

Ahh....so maybe I should just leave them to soak rather than continuous wet/dry cycles? That's not good for magnesia based stones though, is it?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter