Quantcast
Soaking Stones Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soaking Stones Question

I suppose if you keep the stones and water clean it won't be a problem, but is grit contamination an issue when storing in water?

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

If the stones are all together, I rinse the stone off before use. That seems to take care of most of it to the point where I usually don't notice anything but I still don't like it.

With regard to wetting and drying and mineral build-up, I was using distilled water for a while then I got lazy. I haven't noticed anything bad yet...

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I suppose if you keep the stones and water clean it won't be a problem, but is grit contamination an issue when storing in water?

k.
    it can be... work clean

Just FYI, and it probably doesn't apply here as water would likely be changed often enough, but I have a rowing machine that has a water-filled drum to create resistance, and in the instructions they said not to use distilled water because the additives used in city water inhibit bacterial and algae growth. Distilled water is actually a better environment for algae growth. I have had the same water in the drum for 2.5 years and there it is as clean as when I put it in.

Just made me think of it.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    ...the additives used in city water inhibit bacterial and algae growth...I have had the same water in the drum for 2.5 years and there it is as clean as when I put it in...
    Somehow, I find this deeply disturbing. About the distilled water, I wasn't using it for permasoaking. I got more concerned about mineral deposits when I started doing lots of soaking and drying cycles. That's when I thought distilled water would be good. If you are permasoaking, it wouldn't matter because you wouldn't get mineral build-up.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Yeah. I started doing that more often once I realized it was starting to feel slimy.
    Feels pretty gross when it gets like that! I keep a Scotchbrite sponge right by my sink and use the rough side to get any 'slime' off the stones if necessary. I keep my Bester in a pretty shallow tub, so its easy to dump out the water and refill each time I use it, not to mention giving a quick wipe to the sides of the container.

My bester 1200...is it much better to permasoak it? Typically I just soak it for awhile before I use it, then dry and wrap it in paper towel before I put it away. Which is better or is it just a convenience thing?

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    My bester 1200...is it much better to permasoak it? Typically I just soak it for awhile before I use it, then dry and wrap it in paper towel before I put it away. Which is better or is it just a convenience thing?
    Mine has been in water constantly for the last 1.5 years and I think it performs better than ever now, plus its more convenient. Give it a try!