Need help with 180 Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

after a LONG browsing and reading I decided to ask for help, as finding what I am looking proved harder that I expected.

Background:
I have a Kanehiro 165 (aogami super, stainless clad) on loan from a friend and really, really like it. I would just prefer the blade to be a little longer and taller. Otherwise I would simply buy one as they are avaible for excellent price here in Germany (dictum).

What I am looking for
  • 180 nakiri with blade height of 50+ (idealy around 55)
  • excellent edge holding, so preferably Aogami super, but blue #1 (or even #2), SKD12 (A2) also OK
  • preferably under 200g (ideally around 180g)
  • preferably carbon claddinng, stainless OK, preferably migaki or nashiji, Kurouchi OK
  • price ideally up to $300 (€)

Candidates
Since there are VERY few Aogami Super 180 nakiri knives - I actually located only 2:
  • Moritaka AS carbon clad - let's say I got less then warm recommendations for this one. On top of that while Moritaka (Info from Akiko) could deliver the knife, they do not accept any custom orders (like migaki instead of kurouchi) for the next 2 years because of backlog.
  • Yu Kurosaki AS, stainless clad with hammered kurouchi

So I have expanded the list which now includes
  • Toyama blue#2
  • Watanabe blue #2 - I know, default recommendation here on the forum,
  • Heiji Carbon
  • Heiji Semi-Stainless
  • Wakui Aogami 2 Warikomi Migami
  • Ikeda 180 blue #1 (no handle) from bernal cutlery - just have to mention it - fantastic looking knife, just way above the budget (in particular after shipping and taxes)

I wouldl like to ask
  • Do you have experience with some of the above Nakiri knives?
  • Do you have any other candidates in mind that my thorough Google search did not discover?

Thanks in advance :)

Make one yourself as your next project? :)

Just talking out my arse here, but I'd bet Toyama is the best bet if you're looking to match performance w/ kanehiro(if not improve it some). Otherwise just go with whichever knife has a Shinogi line you prefer. Wakui is a different animal altogether, I love his work but they're very slender blades with some spine thickness.

Making one will happen sooner or later, but I have so much work in pipeline and I have yet to get to SC125 and 1.2442 steels I got (I got somehow stuck with stainless steel at the moment) some time ago

The Wakui I am talking about here is this one - I have to admit that it seems to have very nice F&F for the money. Unfortunately they do not have choil shots there and while they are a seller I trust, they do not really answer emails about their products.

I am wondering whether a wide bevel (like the Watanabe or Heiji), or a continous convex (like the Toyama or Wakui) is the better choice.

Making one will happen sooner or later, but I have so much work in pipeline and I have yet to get to SC125 and 1.2442 steels I got (I got somehow stuck with stainless steel at the moment) some time ago

The Wakui I am talking about here is this one - I have to admit that it seems to have very nice F&F for the money. Unfortunately they do not have choil shots there and while they are a seller I trust, they do not really answer emails about their products.

I am wondering whether a wide bevel (like the Watanabe or Heiji), or a continous convex (like the Toyama or Wakui) is the better choice.

I have a 210 guyto in this line. Excellent cutter with a superb grind. I do nit know how the nakiri will behave though. The cladding is very soft, which could be a down side. Have you tried calling this seller? I actually called them once for a question.

Takeda could be a candidate, but I find it on the expensive side for a pre-clad steel and, what I understand, a not very consistent forging work. Just my impression from reading around and one hands-on experience.

I promise, I will makme one, but will probably get to it soonest in summer.

Custom nakiri made by bryan DID cross my mind although I wanted to stay with a 'production' knife. But I guess I should drop him an email.

Watanabe seems to be a tad heavier than Wakui (mine is white #2 core). Both cut well, but still like Watanabe better. If you are set on blue super, another option is Teruyasu's Denka nakiri. It's one of the best nakiris i've used, but it's more expensive than your budget.

Any reason the Munetoshi and Itinomonn kasumi aren't being considered?

Mainly edge retention (white #2 and V2), but also because I already have 2 Munetoshi :) Also, Munetoshi is not available. Otherwise both of them are design-wise nice knives.

I get about the same edge retention from my B2 knives and the W2. IF I'll get another nakiri at some point it'll be the Itinomonn kasumi.

In this case just thought the Itinomonn seems a bit similar to the Wakui you posted only stainless clad. I also remembered you loving your Munetoshis, but yeah more variaty is always more fun.

I have a Wakui nakiri V2 KU, sold under the Yamawaku name (a bargain in term of price). It is maybe the knife that is the thinnest being the edge I have ever seen. Incredible. Super nice finish also. length is 177mm. If you are interested, I can give you the whole spec. I cannot measure the weight without the handle, but the knife has some weight and, even with a custom handle, balance is a bit in front of a pinch grip.
I believe it is the same as this one but under another name.

Note that Anton rehandeled this knife and did a fantastic job.

DSC_1715.jpg

DSC_1767.jpg

The nakiri is the one on the left.

DSC_1747.jpg

hope it helps

zetieum - very nice, both knives and handles. I think I have seen the Yamawaku on eBay at very low price, so naturally I was not too sure whether getting one is a good idea. I am glad to hear these are good - thanks for heads up. But where did you find one in this size?

For what it's worth - Bryan is heading to a knife show and should that nakiri (linked before in the post #12) not sell, then I may/U]get to play with it :knife:

@TheCaptain must be really jealous :tease:

Have fun Matus, that nakiri looks sweet.

Latest posts

Back