Oiling your board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was oiling one of my boards recently and I realized I was making a terrible mess with getting mineral oil all over the place. How do you all avoid the mess of oiling your board, or do you just deal with wiping all of the excess mineral oil away?

Also, if I'm having mineral oil dripping off the sides, am I using too much oil?

You are probably using too much oil or your board is already saturated. I put my board on top of some newspaper and then put a not too thick layer of oil with the help of a brush. Wait until the oil has been absorbed and repeat.

I agree too much oil at once. I pour a bit out spread it over the surface with a paper towel or rag, then pour a bit more until the board is well coated. Let it soak in for about an hour then wipe off the board of any excess.

My board smith 18X12 end grain Carolina cherry ...drank mineral oil like it was a diesel for its 1st couple "lathers". Nice product, nice people. Says Feb was tough for sales..so if you been meaning to get one..hook them up. I love mine

If it's not a brand new board I'm conditioning, then I like to use homebrew board conditioner that's just beeswax melted into mineral oil (both food grade). That's less messy, stays where it's applied, and when I dry a board with a towel after rinsing, the beeeswax seems to buff up quite nicely.

Pour on oil before bed smear it around put towel on a plate beside board. Before work pour on more oil and smear around. When I return wipe on board butter using the same towels. Turn it over and wipe the rest with the saturated towel. No mess no problems.

Thanks
Jared

Back