Amazing Onion cutting skills

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had seen that before and then couldn't re-find it. This definitely belongs in Youtube awesome. :goodpost:

I originally saw it as part of a "People are awesome" compilation

If he was blindfolded and also peeled it I'd be impressed. Just saying.

Wrong technique + wrong tool + speed to compensate both = not awesome cutting skill . Any competent cook with right technique and good knife can cut faster that this fool without the risk of losing digits , put this on YouTube knuckleheads

Correct technique if you are cooking in an environment/culture where in-hand work is the norm.

I understand that there are places around the world where cutting boards are not used.

Correct technique if you are cooking in an environment/culture where in-hand work is the norm.

I understand that there are places around the world where cutting boards are not used.

+1. Infinitely more impressive and interesting than someone lumbering through a few cuts with a Shigefusa/Kato/unobtanium custom.

Wrong technique + wrong tool + speed to compensate both = not awesome cutting skill . Any competent cook with right technique and good knife can cut faster that this fool without the risk of losing digits , put this on YouTube knuckleheads

From other vids like this I was fascinated of how fast they can do it with only a knife and a bowel. One sat on the street near a food trolley, the knife was a sharpened saw blade. To me this is an art, cooking for a living nearly without tools, nothing beyond the essentials.

My wife is of Indian background and in her family cutting boards are exclusively used for cutting meats with a heavy cleaver. Veggies are always in-hand above a bowl. Gyuto and board and I beat all of them for speed with my socks on though and i'm not that good at all.

Does anyone wash their onions after peeling them? Saw some guy on YT saying that their covered in mold and need to be washed. I've never washed an onion, if its moldy on the outside, do you just peel another layer off?

That`s it, not faster then an ordinary chef on a board...... and really stupid cutting this way.... sorry.

Greets Sebastian.

Someones jelly :knife: but I agree its completely ludicrous

in a restaurant where I used to work I had to cut onions and vegetables in general or even herbs like this:

julienne and then exact cubes

The result was beautiful.
Now I as pastry chef I am not trained with onions anymore😅

I don't know man, I get that it looks impressive but I am not sure of whether it's a good idea. Not only for the safety reasons but I am guessing all these onion dice are different sizes you know. Maybe good enough for him but not right for western cuisine. It could be what he is intentionally aiming for anyway?

I'll go with "chefcomesback's" technique, oh let's say, ten out of ten times!!! Just sayin!

I think that's the same technique any logical person with even an ounce of culinary ability uses :p

ive seen much weirder stuff in kitchens, sometimes if a technique is effective then it's worth bucking conventional wisdom. As long as the cuts are consistent the diner/customer shouldn't care and if the cook is efficient with his technique neither should the employer. That being said I can't tell how nice the dice looks in that onion mountain, but I've seen plenty of people film their knife "skills" on YouTube and I honestly have no idea when speed in cutting took priority over consistency.

Cool as a video, but as technique? No. I would put this in the "interesting" category.

ive seen much weirder stuff in kitchens, sometimes if a technique is effective then it's worth bucking conventional wisdom. As long as the cuts are consistent the diner/customer shouldn't care and if the cook is efficient with his technique neither should the employer. That being said I can't tell how nice the dice looks in that onion mountain, but I've seen plenty of people film their knife "skills" on YouTube and I honestly have no idea when speed in cutting took priority over consistency.

Exactly.

speed is impressive but i wonder how accurate those cuts are, my guess would be not very.

speed is impressive but i wonder how accurate those cuts are, my guess would be not very.

They looked like trash. Ok for a stew or something that's gonna simmer for a day. You could see a large variance no good for pico de gallo :(.

Back