Quantcast
Christmas in October!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas in October!

Christmas in October!

As most of you know, Im a collector of sorts, or should I say a Burl Junky.. LMAO!!

I collect Burl, and woods and other awesome handle materials that I find unique and beautiful. I may have a problem.. and at some point may even need a intervention.. But dont you dare call them on me!

As of late, I have been adding Ivory to my collection. and have scored some amazing stuff over the last year. I picked up a couple of Huge chunks of mammoth ivory from the Ice Age. Also scored a whole musk ox horn from Alaska.. And now this..

For me, its as much about being able to cut and process the materials as it is to just have them and using them on a knife. I truly enjoy cutting and processing, I often take a day or two and do nothing but work on the band saw, cutting burl or ivory..

Heres my latest and greatest acquisition..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tusks 003.jpg‎
Views:	177
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tusks 030.jpg‎
Views:	174
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1987  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

I can offer you counseling sessions, and I accept burl wood and ivory as payment

That looks nice, is that fossil walrus? I would have a hard time cutting up pieces like that.

Stefan

LOL!! Stefan your funny! Yea its fossil walrus ivory, And Im with you its gona be tough to cut this up.. But I guess if its gota be done. Im happy to be the one to do it!!

Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Who decorated that?

You aren't cutting up some kind of cultural artifact, are you?

Eamon, I dont know for sure who decorated it.. Ill ask and let ya know what I come up with! I do know its frickin awesome! And Its gona be VERY hard to make myself cut it up!

But like alot of my "collection".. It will be around for a while.. I have scale sets and blocks I purchased over 6 years ago.. Waiting for just the right knife/customer to offer them to. My collection runs deep!

Availible Knives

That looks way to awesome to cut up.
    -"we're gonna make gluten free lasagna"

But its for a knife!!! or 2 and I can even use the skull and make a set of bone scales..

Im trying to talk myself into it.. I agree Twistington Its gona be tough!

Availible Knives

After doing some checking, I found it was made by a native Alaskan. Although it is very cool and looks great, its not a cultural artifact.. So I guess Ill have to make some knives!!

Availible Knives

Man, you were talking about this....Holy CRAP!!!! I take half of that off your hands to help alleviate the stress of the decision....

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Who decorated that?

You aren't cutting up some kind of cultural artifact, are you?
    Eamon,
    about ten or twelve years ago I was given this set by some Native Inuit friends of mine, They couldn't send it to me because of the CITES ban on Walrus ivory, so shipping it to the states would be illegal. However, if the pieces were made into art by Native indigenous Peoples it would be exempt from the ban. They being Inuits and having worked with ivory all their lives decided to make some art work out of it so that they could send it to me. They knew that I wanted to use it for making knife handles and some traditional talismans and pendants, so they decided not to carve it, but to put temporary paint and to apply some silver work to it that would be easy to remove.
    Life got in the way and I put those things away and never touched them again. Every two or three years I find the box and look inside and say I gotta make something with that. Randy's post about the mammoth ivory reminded me about the tusks and since he already was working on my set of knives, I knew he would appreciated using it. So we shall see what comes of it.
    Hope this gives you a little more back ground on the piece. As a Native I would never mess with something of cultural significance,as too much of our stuff is in museums and private collection instead of with the people they belong to.
    Thanks, Sachem Son

+ Reply to Thread