Knives & Stones Saji Damascus R2 with Tanaka Western handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Just want to share this unique line of product to you.

Basically I asked a craftsman who use to work on Tanaka's western ironwood line to put on the same type of coke-bottle shaped handle on Saji's knives. Reason? I just don't think there is a better western handle from Japan that is better than the Tanaka ones!

Comes with some really nice Ringed Gidgee scales as well.

Use coupon code: SAJI5 for further 5% off (works on all the Saji knives!).

You can find them here:
http://www.knivesandstones.com/r2-sg2/
poster.jpg

James, not to show myself up as a novice but I know next to nothing about Saji knives from a performance point of view and there's not much on the forum about them. What's the thickness, taper and grind like? How do they cut?

Thanks guys! I am lucky enough that I am on my way to Adele concert. Will update the specs asap and give my thoughts about the line!

James, not to show myself up as a novice but I know next to nothing about Saji knives from a performance point of view and there's not much on the forum about them. What's the thickness, taper and grind like? How do they cut?

I tried one of the diamond damascus R2 blades a couple of years ago.
It cut better than my Tanaka B2, I didn't have too much to compare it with then.
Don't know if this means much.
Not a laser.

I didn't buy it as I bought a Tanaka R2 instead.
One of the prettiest knives I've ever handled, still think of it from time to time.
If James had put these up a month or two earlier, I'd be able to tell you exactly how the 270 performed!

James, how is the cutting performance of this Saji 240 compared to other 240 R2 knives that you sale like tanaka wa, Shiro Kamo and Sukenari. Is the tip of the knife on the thicker side? And How does it perform on horizontal cut of onion? Thanks

I am curious also. Not much info on his work. Any current owners who can comment? They look awesome!

i have this knife without the handle K&S offers but the ironwood it normally comes with. Its a nice knife. grinds are good, i personally would like for the spine to be rounded and the choil area but thats my preference and i just did it with a little sand paper. The steel seems like its treated well, takes a good edge holds it well etc etc. its a reasonably robust knife compared to the others i own but as previously stated ground well no wedge problems or anything and since hes offering them with a different handle i bet it will be more comfortable then the one i have, which isent bad anyways. pretty knife in person actually using it today at work coincidentally.

Back