Virtues of pronounced distal taper on a gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp-Hamono

Reaction score
It seems like some knives have a more or less obvious distal taper along their spines than others. Pronounced distal taper is sometimes used as a marketing point to sell certain knives, but I'm not sure I've ever heard it explained why this is a desirable aspect of a knife, particularly a gyuto. Can someone walk me through what the purpose of a more pronounced distal taper is and when/how does it come in handy? For example, for certain kinds of cuts through certain foods? For making the knife more versatile in its range of uses? For something else? Also, if it's a very important aspect of a knife grind, then how do other knives with less pronounced distal tapers get the job done?

A pronounced distal taper leads to a Shape with a very thin tip and more steel on the heel side. You can slice e.g. onions with the tip while the knife is stiff avoiding flex.

The pronounced distal taper is very obvious with vintage carbons, due to the forging method. It corresponds to the idea of having one knife capable of all functions. See here a very thick spine above the heel -- here with a vintage Sheffield.

So it sounds like it mainly has to do with maximizing the versatility of the knife design? For instance having a knife that's sturdy enough to cut through a butternut squash without flexing but not compromising the knife's ability to do precision work with the tip?

Yes. If you're used to it, you use the section near the handle for rougher task, and you sharpen that part perhaps more conservatively -- higher angle, less asymmetry. And if the tip is very thin you better sharpen that part in the same way.

So I guess the real question is, what do you prefer, more or less distal taper?

Many Japanese gyuto's have less taper, but are thin behind the edge where it counts. Tall bevel knives thin out near the tip where the grind is. They are good cutters a lot of distal taper not being that much of a factor.

Have had one japan blade & one vintage Sabatier both carbons that had more taper. Something sweet about a slightly blade heavy knife with a very thin tip. So I have to say I like both styles:D

I think there​ is a geek appeal in the additional tapering. The added complexity in cutting geometry encourages some technical exploration. Gives the knife some personality.

I am not a proficient cutter or a professional cook, so I cannot speak to practical benefits, but I can imagine some, as others have mentioned.

I've described the classic French chef's knife design as a cleaver in the back with a tall paring knife forged onto the front, and I'm pretty sure that was some of the thinking behind the original concept. Like Benuser said, an all-purpose knife that with some training can be used for very different tasks without switching knives. For as much interest as I have in understanding, acquiring, and using J-knives, my 12" carbon Sabatier (old forging) is one of my favorites and sort of my reference point. Looking at that one, not only is the distal taper very pronounced (about 5mm at the heel to 1mm or slightly less near the tip), but the geometry changes over the length of the blade: it is notably convex near the heel and a much flatter grind toward the tip, and the angle between the blade faces narrows as well.

Of my J-knives, I have some that are pretty thin over the whole length. The Gengetsu is my current favorite cutter, and that one has significant distal taper. What I don't have yet is a workhorse type gyuto of comparable quality, such as a Munetoshi, Watanabe, Toyama, etc. There may be (and probably are) other, different methods of designing the same sort of versatility into a knife.

Last edited:
Strong distal taper gives you access to laser and work horse in one knife. But is not optimized for either one. You get balance instead of really strong in one aspect. For what a gyuto is, I think balance is a great trait in itself. But it's not quite as fun to use as a specialized one..

I agree with panda... never thought of the second part of his statement, I guess a specialized knife (think flex of a slicer or a boning knife for instance) does provide a more precise application, still.... its nice to have a knife that can be applied to multiple situations, hence taper. Good call! Good thread!

Making a draw cut using a knife with good distal taper can reduce sticktion (if that's an issue for that particular product).

Among other advantages already mentioned, of course.

+1

Has anyone ever attempted distal thinning? Spine to edge?

Not sure exactly what you're asking but I like to thin the tip spine to edge for at least about 2 inches. It does give it a bit more taper but I always considered distal taper to be more involved in the whole of the spine...most every knife really has to thin at the tip just because of the basic geometry.

Back