Stupid quote of the night- true story

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

Founding Member
Reaction score
My bride dragged me to Waldbaums supermarket tonight after getting some Deli at Bens.

I wandered past the fish counter- what a sorry looking bunch of dried out and mushy fish, cut with a butter knife.

I read a sign that says-

Fresh Talapia, A product of China - the fish is still frozen in flat filets!

I asked the kid how they could be selling frozen fish as fresh?

His reply....

Yes it's been frozen, but it's been Re- freshed!

:headbonk:

my bosses uses cod from the restaurant depot for fish and chips and it clearly states on the box that it is refreshed cod. I could never figure out what that means, now I know.lol

Re-freshed = thawed out.

Simple, yes?

The retail seafood industry also uses the term "fresh" to include "fresh frozen." :scratchhead:

Since it's frozen, you can't tell if something is "fresh frozen" or "old frozen" unless it's been thawed out. By that time, it might just be "old." I just used to tell customers that it was frozen, and if thawed and good quality, good quality frozen seafood.

Nice.

I've actually heard people, on many occassions, use the term "Fresh-Frozen". :slaphead:

At the sushi bar, we said that was the "Eff Word". Someone would say "I think my driveway is frozen over." and soemone would say "DID YOU JUST SAY THE EFF WORD?! Watch your :censored: mouth!"

Back