Knife storage: show me your rack/stand/block!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooksie967

No more Ashi
Reaction score
I recently purchased 4 gyutos. Two measure 270 and two 240. That means I'll have 3 of each measure once they arrive.

And the dilemma of how to store them is now a problem.

I have a small kitchen and counter space is limited as I already take up room with a big espresso machine and giant burr grinder. I also have 3 boys ages 5 and down. I don't think I've got a good space for a wall mounted mag block so maybe something I can keep flat against the wall on the counter where the knife blades are hidden away?

If I can't come up with something I'm considering custom paulownia boxes for each that I can at least label and stack nicely in a cupboard..

Either way, please show me what you're doing and recommend a solution for my "problem".

I have up to 240mm knives on a magnetic knife rack between counter and cabinets. No room there? I keep longer blades on a smaller magnetic rack high up on a wall in between window and door moldings. The youngin's can't get to them without great effort. Small kitchen here, too.

I'd also love to see how you guys are storing them. Last week there was a leak from my laundry room which spread to the kitchen. It was pretty bad and the wood in 2 of the drawers that I keep knives in are still damp.. I was considering magnets but I don't really have a good wall for them :( I'm able to leave a few at work but it isn't ideal. For now most of them are sitting in my guest/spare bedroom...

Q6sUs4i.jpg

I'd also love to see how you guys are storing them. Last week there was a leak from my laundry room which spread to the kitchen. It was pretty bad and the wood in 2 of the drawers that I keep knives in are still damp.. I was considering magnets but I don't really have a good wall for them :( I'm able to leave a few at work but it isn't ideal. For now most of them are sitting in my guest/spare bedroom...

Q6sUs4i.jpg

I tried this once, but I got tired of the constant cuts when I'd roll over at night.

Well there's the IKEA knife block I've already been raving about in another thread... fits a 270 suji just fine, although it mostly holds my 'lesser' knives.

retratt-messenblok__38203_PE130107_S4.JPG

Because I actually have my few good and most used knives right next to my usual cutting station (which is next to the stove) in this contraption:

flort-zak-met-vakken-v-afstandsbediening-zwart__0098922_PE240296_S4.JPG

It's meant to be a cheapo holder for tv remote controls, but actually works pretty decently for knives as well... although I'd only recommend it if you have sayas with them like I do. For 5 bucks it works out pretty well for me...
It's not as convenient as a mag-bar (the sayas add extra time every time you use a knife), but like you I have no convenient space for a magnetic bar, and this is at least functional.

I mounted a home-made Holder for my Chinese chef's knife under a cabinet above the counter and beside the stove.
HU6BVSf.jpg

o0WVEcz.jpg

It looks like I'll be adding a second one for an additional slicer soon.

Last edited:

Q6sUs4i.jpg
This should cause any sensible woman a no uncertain amount of worry and concern!

I mounted a home-made Holder for my Chinese chef's knife under a cabinet above the counter and beside the stove.
That reminds me... I have seen people put magnetic knife bars under the botter of kitchen cabinets. Might not be ideal but apparently it can work. Google around and you'll probably find some examples.

One of my friends has put a magnet on the inside of the upper kitchen cabinet.
Out of sight and out of reach for the kids, but you can still grab any of them whenever you need them.

Out of sight and out of reach for the kids, but you can still grab any of them whenever you need them.

this except i just lay it flat with handle pointing towards the doors. Kids wont get to them unless my height. just pick one cupboard where you can still see downwards a bit so you know what you are aiming your knives into.

I've shown this here before, but relevant here:

block_small.jpg

DIY. Slots are 300mm high, but would be easy to make a little taller if you want. Pine boards cut to length, nailed to base and back.

Sorry, i've missed a word... Silly me.
So the magnet is on the inside of the upper kitchen cabinet's door.

I've shown this here before, but relevant here:

block_small.jpg

DIY. Slots are 300mm high, but would be easy to make a little taller if you want. Pine boards cut to length, nailed to base and back.

I like this. Hanging them in that orientation saves a lot of horizontal space if you have a lot of knives to store. It looks like it could be set up as a freestanding block, which would be nice for people living in apartments and unable to do a lot of modifications to their kitchen. The blocks also protect the knives somewhat from liquids getting splashed or squirted on them, and against large items falling against the knife rack.

I've posted this before, but may be a good solution to go custom and have the depth, height and width to your liking.

76FA4C38-BA3F-4C7C-94D9-074278010D7C_zpscmrp31di.jpg

7BA868F0-D795-4B68-A29F-46CD035779D9_zpsqwxawy5x.jpg

32572122-BB0A-466A-9531-8B87F5D31F68_zpsuzpddnoe.jpg

I like the use of the wine bottle for size comparison, it shows that these are no under dimensioned knives by no means! 😁

@Sillywizard yes, that looks like the equipment of somebody cooking a lot of red meats, so her waistline might suffer if you regularly cook her dinner!

IMG_0475_zpsbmaz5aux.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0476_zps0flxnm7u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0477_zpsclaj3rgw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0478_zpsjpin4ub9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0479_zpspzyimawe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0480_zpsm4ha5dyw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I like the use of the wine bottle for size comparison, it shows that these are no under dimensioned knives by no means! 😁
That's actually a 750ml bottle of olive oil. It's farther back so it looks smaller and is actaully just a couple inches shorter than the rack

@Sillywizard yes, that looks like the equipment of somebody cooking a lot of red meats, so her waistline might suffer if you regularly cook her dinner!
I have no idea what you are trying to say

Hmmm, I expected the Harley Davidson Edition of the Craftsman tool chest :D

Gave them up. Seemed like the only people I saw on Harley's were old fat guys. (Mario being one of the exceptions of course. :))

Salty I see you still own your Masamoto honyaki. I don't know why but I thought you sold it.

Back