Quantcast
newbie oiling handles - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: newbie oiling handles

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    Also, on another forum when I suggested oiling ho handles I was told that it would ruin the handle. Reason being that Ho is used because when it gets wet the grain rises improving grip on the knife, which does make sense if you use knives with wet hands- thinking mainly of Deba
    Very interinteresting! Thanks for sharing! id notice that happening on an unoiled handle and it worried me, never realized it easy SUPPOSED to o that.

As for what i typically do: sand,coat w/mineral oil till it stops immediately absorbing, then wrap w/ paper towel saturated w/more mineral oil and wrap it all up tight w/ plastic wrap. In 24hrs the towl is dry and the wood is well oiled. Finish W/ warm board (bee's)wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    Anyone use Tru-oil? It contains tung oil, mineral oil and a few other things. What i like about it is after sanding and a few coats of that, it seals the surface of the wood as the tung oil hardens. Don't use veggie oils! They go rancid after a month or so!...don't ask how i know....
    I use Tru-Oil often, it has become my favorite, I find it takes better to the dense oily woods like gidgee, ironwood, and cocobolo. Everything else I have used with those woods leaves them tacky. I use it in conjunction with the Birchwood Casey wax and it creates a great finish.

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post
    I wanted to make a batch of mineral oil and beeswax, what is a good ratio?
    start with lots of oil and little wax and add wax until you get the consistency you want (you'll have to let it cool a few times to check). i don't have a set ratio, but i know when i have it how i want it.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    I use Tru-Oil often, it has become my favorite, I find it takes better to the dense oily woods like gidgee, ironwood, and cocobolo. Everything else I have used with those woods leaves them tacky. I use it in conjunction with the Birchwood Casey wax and it creates a great finish.
    I use a 80/20 tung oil orange oil mixture. The orange oil acts as a solvent and enables a deeper penetration of the wood, plus the wood doesn't lose its haptic properties.