Quantcast
newbie oiling handles
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: newbie oiling handles

newbie oiling handles

I have a dumb question. What is the preferred product for maintaining the appearance of unstabilized wood handles? Is there some type of wax I should buff it with? Like bee's wax? Should I treat it like a cutting board and use mineral oil/bee's wax. Should I rub it with tung oil periodically? I'm just worried that as the seasons change the wood might crack or something worse. How often should I treat the wood? I can't really tell if it's getting dry, like I would a cutting board.

I don't do it regularly but if I've washed the handle a few times, esp. with soap. I will soak it in oil for a day or so and then finish with beeswax.

I have been using walnut oil and beeswax mix on my handles and sayas. Looks good and does as intended.

I use mineral oil and beeswax. I have 2 containers, one with the wax and oil mix, and the other just has a rag that I use to apply the stuff. Once the rag is saturated it rarely needs any added to it. I wash my knives a lot at work with very hot water, so it is pretty easy to tell when they start to dry out. Usually I just give the handles a rub with the rag after I am done sharpening them.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I use mineral oil and beeswax. I have 2 containers, one with the wax and oil mix, and the other just has a rag that I use to apply the stuff. Once the rag is saturated it rarely needs any added to it. I wash my knives a lot at work with very hot water, so it is pretty easy to tell when they start to dry out. Usually I just give the handles a rub with the rag after I am done sharpening them.
    I wanted to make a batch of mineral oil and beeswax, what is a good ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post
    I wanted to make a batch of mineral oil and beeswax, what is a good ratio?
    ... And has anybody tried adding carnuba wax to it?

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    ... And has anybody tried adding carnuba wax to it?

Stefan
    H I use Howard's Butcher block conditioner as it contains Bees wax and mineral oil. Rated food safe. IF this is not an issue they have for furniture.. a premix of Mineral oil, bees wax and carnuba wax. I like to add tung oil too form time to time..

Personally I prefer to use carnuba wax which comes in a block and on a buffer machine. I Use the Beal BUffing system. They sell the complete kit ~ wheels and adaptors less the motor.. Had fun doing it. The system can be used for polishing anything depending on teh wheel/ adaptor... Just learnt of a new adaptor called.. "power ball" which you can attach to a portable hand drill to polish anything you want... I see it alot on you tube for polishing mag wheels. thinking using it on blades.... just a thought..

Have fun..

rgds
    D

i use this: "Osmo 3032 Satin-matt" but it dryes slow. :/
    -"we're gonna make gluten free lasagna"

I have made a 50:50 beeswax mineral oil, and a 40:40:20 carnauba:bees: mineral
    The carnauba wax mix needs to be warmed a bit first or used with a polishing mop to get enough heat from friction, I'm thinking of melting some back down and thinning with beeswax to see if it will go on more easily

thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I'll get a big block of bee's wax from woodcraft and make make my own concoction.

+ Reply to Thread