D. Martell Forgecraft Upgrade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Here's a vintage Forgecraft chef's knife that came in for a facelift of sorts. Actually when I think about it I really body-lifted it as there's nothing that got left untouched on this one. :)

I started with the blade which was too thick and had a lot of deep pitting along the bevel. I thinned this section down and removed as much of the pitting as possible but there's still some evidence present of it's former life of service.

The Forgecraft pattern on the blade was reconditioned to show off better and the spine/choil were re-worked/rounded for comfort.

This knife had a full tang but was converted to hidden and a new handle fashioned out of figured maple & ironwood burl along with nickel silver accents.

In my opinion this knife is BADASS! If I had this knife I'd use the hell of it, it's just that nice. :cool2:

Please feel free to let me know what you think....

ForgecraftMartellUpgraded1.jpg

P1010001.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010016.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010019.JPG

Nice stuff, Dave!
I'm guessing the Forgecraft can be treated essentially as a flat-ish wide bevel knife (everything under the iconic pattern)?

I think this is my fave forgecraft makeover so far. The blade came out amazing, especially the tip looks pretty sweet. And the handle gives a modern touch to a vintage looking blade. This restorations are the reason why I almost picked up a forge craft from eBay a few weeks ago.

Nice stuff, Dave!
I'm guessing the Forgecraft can be treated essentially as a flat-ish wide bevel knife (everything under the iconic pattern)?

I grind the bevel as one large entity but then I add a primary bevel (edge) just the original did. The thing to keep on mind is that the large bevel isn't anywhere near flat or stone ready, it'll need grinding to get to that point. Hell, even after I flatten it on my belts it's not stone flat so even if I flattened a Forgie for you it'd still require some sweat equity to make it match up with your stones.

I recently saw pictures of a guy's efforts to re-do his Forgie on stones and man let me tell you how nice that thing was. I should send him an email and get him to post pictures in the general forum.

I think this is my fave forgecraft makeover so far. The blade came out amazing, especially the tip looks pretty sweet. And the handle gives a modern touch to a vintage looking blade. This restorations are the reason why I almost picked up a forge craft from eBay a few weeks ago.

Thanks val! :)

10/10 would rock this for sure. I think we all need to get Dave a big back stock of forgies ASAP.

I think everything goes together very well on this piece. Nice job.

Geesh! Makes me want to go out and get one just so Dave can work his magic. That is truly impressive!

Gotta keep telling myself, no...no...no...

If you don't have a good boning knife yet, the Forgie is a great one.

And what's this "no" chit? Haven't you passed indoc?

:)

Actually watching ebay right now. I've resisted the urge to get into vintage knives so far...it's soooooo tempting!

This will likely be enough to push me over the edge.

:)

Actually watching ebay right now. I've resisted the urge to get into vintage knives so far...it's soooooo tempting!

This will likely be enough to push me over the edge.
Same here, thank lord this wasn't posted a couple of weeks ago when I was about to pull the trigger on a Fogecraft from Ebay that was in pretty good condition (brick pattern was very visible and it height was steel there) and only ~$30. Gotta keep myself away from that stuff... mumble mumble...

Same here, thank lord this wasn't posted a couple of weeks ago when I was about to pull the trigger on a Fogecraft from Ebay that was in pretty good condition (brick pattern was very visible and it height was steel there) and only ~$30. Gotta keep myself away from that stuff... mumble mumble...

10 inch? I think I saw the one you are referring to. The profile had more of a frown than I wanted to sacrifice my stones fixing, would lose knife height too

I keep a watch out on eBay occasionally too... There's those 80-100 buck ones on there, but I really try and look for the occasionally better deal (however much that exists with this inflated pricing currently)

10 inch? I think I saw the one you are referring to. The profile had more of a frown than I wanted to sacrifice my stones fixing, would lose knife height too

I keep a watch out on eBay occasionally too... There's those 80-100 buck ones on there, but I really try and look for the occasionally better deal (however much that exists with this inflated pricing currently)

Maybe it was the same, there were two up at the same time at around the same price (only about 3 days difference for the auction) one had more signs of previous sharpening and less of a dark pattern. The one I'm talking about needed some work on the stones for sure, I don't remember noticing too much of a frown but right at the middle there were some ships or deep pitting marks at the edge so I think it would have lost about 1-1.5 mm of height to get it right (rough estimation of course).

Right now there is a rather big lot for action that includes two chef knives. However, there are still several days left for the end of the auction and I have zero use for a lot that big.

Right now there is a rather big lot for action that includes two chef knives. However, there are still several days left for the end of the auction and I have zero use for a lot that big.

I'm all over it

Sorry - No links to auctions. Only to "Buy it now" Keeps us from bidding against each other or some such.

A search should find it. [FONT=&quot]12 Old Hickory Ontario Forgecraft Carbon Steel [/FONT]

They look like they've been through purgatory. Or been used a good bit.

This knife was purchased a few years back from Goodwill's online auction site. The auction site has been "discovered" since then and you don't see as many bargains, but they do have the occasional treasure, and it's for charity. :angel2: Mostly they have cutcos and henckels, but there are some other interesting knives that pop up. Seems like a lot of people clean out their parents' houses and take everything to Goodwill, so you never know what you'll find. Right now there's a big vintage F. Dick chef and a Randall hunter that people are bidding up. Another site that's worth looking at if you're seeking out an ODC.

Latest posts

Back