Micro mesh pads, what's your technique?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I always use water, is there something better? I brush from heel to tip then back(both ways) do people get better results just brushing in one direction? Is there an advantage at all to using them dry? I just want to hear from people about how they use their micro pads for optimum results. I've been using them for years but I think I (and maybe others) could use some tips.
Thanks.

Ditto, just got some myself and learning how to polish. I also got some different brands of wet/dry sandpaper up to 7000 grit hoping to try some things and find a method that works for me. Noob question: What kind of surface should I lay the knife on?

Ditto, just got some myself and learning how to polish. I also got some different brands of wet/dry sandpaper up to 7000 grit hoping to try some things and find a method that works for me. Noob question: What kind of surface should I lay the knife on?

Sometimes I hold the knife in hand over a sink but I've also laid the knife on a cutting board or on a upside down 3rd pan with a towel.

Haven't used mine for a while but I always used a drop of camellia oil with a spritz of water. I tried to stick to heel to tip but on a workhorse Kato it was crushingly ineffective.

If I was just trying to create a matte/satin finish I would use the pads dry and go in one direction only. I always felt that when you're doing a satin finish you needed to work in one direction only so your scratch pattern would be as uniform as possible. If I was trying to polish the blade I would use some water for lube, sometimes with a drop of dish soap and then rub in both directions.

As they don't release any grit......I personally always use em dry, and clean and dry them occasionally........paper and cloth or powder based abrasives that break down releasing grit making a little slurry I use wd40.

Not sure if the pros will agree with this but I've been using Windex with good results

I've used them dry after a progression of wet sandpaper sanding and then the micro pads after and used it dry. Honestly never even thought about using them wet. Any of the videos I've YOUTube they were being used dry

Total beginner. I got them to deal with scratches left on a 52100 ZKramer by the guy who was making a saya for me. I used them dry and they did the job well even though I used them in both directions - impatient I guess. Bottom line, scratches were removed and no visible new scratches evident. Always planned on using them wet but never got around to it. The thread has me thinking beyond plain water already.

I use them dry to put final polish when restoring vintage carving sets. Puts a high polish on 1890's carbon stag handle blades. When they need it I clean them.

Back