Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the highest grit you would use on Takamura R2 (SG2) steel without compromising life?

Don't see any benefit in either sharpness or retention.

I literally shaved my face. I'm not particularly hairy though.
    I recorded shaving with my teruyasu denka ...

And yes from my limited experience ... the mid-grit shaptons leave similar edges to the mid grit naniwa's.
    Above 3k edge *my Perceived edge retention goes down.
    sharpening angle makes more of a difference of edge retention then grit does IMO.

Oh OK. My reason for asking was amazement ... because "shaving" behaviour (arm and leg hair) seems par for the course on a 3K ... heck, managed it with a cho 400 and newspaper and am not a good sharpener...

For all my PM steel knives (R2, HAP40, DURATEC 20CV, etc.), I prefer to stop at Naniwa pro 3k or Suehiro Rika 3k.
    You could of course get higher than that if you want and have the time to do it as an exercise, but I never noticed any improvements on cutting performance or edge retention for kitchen knives.
    Actually, it feels like I am losing some "bite" and the edge tends to slide for a fraction of a second on hard skinned vegetables and cooked proteins.

Quote Originally Posted by GRoc View Post
    For all my PM steel knives (R2, HAP40, DURATEC 20CV, etc.), I prefer to stop at Naniwa pro 3k or Suehiro Rika 3k.
    You could of course get higher than that if you want and have the time to do it as an exercise, but I never noticed any improvements on cutting performance or edge retention for kitchen knives.
    Actually, it feels like I am losing some "bite" and the edge tends to slide for a fraction of a second on hard skinned vegetables and cooked proteins.
    Hmm I usually take srs15 up to 10K and it seems to noticeably increase its surgical quality. No loss of performance that I can tell. Pretty much the opposite. Not sure if there's any particular reason why srs15 would be different from other PM steels in this regard.

Perhaps it's all placebo

@GRoc - Rika 5k or Kouga 3k?