Knife for travel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K813zra

Reaction score
I have landed myself in a situation where I will be cooking for a disabled relative three days a week and need some gear to stuff in a knife bag. My relative (cousin) lives in a very small house with a tiny kitchen. It has very shallow counter tops and makes me feel cramped when I take my 210 gyuto along. At the same time I have been wanting to test out a watanabe knife and this could be a good opportunity to test drive one of his KU knives (from the pro page).

My question is, santoku or 180mm gyuto? I have had both in the past but favored my 210. The issue with most 180mm gyuto's that I have tried is that they are all belly. In this situation I will be cutting mostly veg with some small protein. Most of the protein is already broken down at least mostly. I might slice up some port tenderloins once or twice a month but I should be able to get by with either even if it is not the most comfortable. While I have not seen a board shot of the 180, and I looked on images, it does appear to have a lower tip and less belly than many of its size.

I will hit the key points here rather than posting all of that knife questioner thing.

I'm in the usa but plan to order from watanabe in Japan (I am pretty set on this)
I am looking for either a santoku or 180mm gyuto (again I am pretty set on this as my 210 feels too long in this situation)
I am not looking to upgrade or replace a knife so that is of no concern.
I will be cutting on an end grain board.
I use glide cuts(G&G), mostly.
I use a pinch grip.
As I said I will be cutting mostly veg with a little meat here and there.

In all honesty I could likely get by with a 150mm petty but I don't want to.:laugh: I am not worried about the tip on the santoku if that is of concern as there is no reason I can not use a petty too. As I said, I am pretty set on getting one of these two knives but I am open to other suggestions. However, I would still like to stay with watanabe. It is of no concern if it is his stainless clad knives or iron as I use both. And nobody else will be using the knife.

Yeah, a lot of talk to ask if a santoku or small gyuto would be better in this situation.

Munetoshi petty 165. It is 40 mm tall - just perfect small gyuto, basically :)

I should have mentioned that I like 'em a little taller which is why I was inclined to go with the santoku at first glance and why I don't just use my 150mm petty. I appreciate the suggestion, though! I have depth restrictions but none on height. :)

I would do the Santoku, for simmilar tasks I use a Suisin I got a few years ago and works like a charm...

Good luck and keep us in the loop! :thumbsup:

Tojiro ITK santoku (F-698 or F-701A)
Cheap and cheerful. Takes a killer edge in no time. Fun to use. F&F is not them best to put it nicely, so it's really just a san mai shirogami #2 blade you're paying for but it's worth it. :)
Even though i have many badass knives i still reach for this one most of the time. (Unless i have to slice bread or cut up big things.)

Tojiro ITK santoku (F-698 or F-701A)
Cheap and cheerful. Takes a killer edge in no time. Fun to use. F&F is not them best to put it nicely, so it's really just a san mai shirogami #2 blade you're paying for but it's worth it. :)
Even though i have many badass knives i still reach for this one most of the time. (Unless i have to slice bread or cut up big things.)

I have some ITK knives and they are a good value. I did mention the part where I am using this experience as an excuse to test drive a watanabe, lol. Thus only two models listed. However, that is two votes for a santoku.

Aside from your professed inclination to go Watanabe, tbh the first thing that came to mind was those Tanaka 190mm gyutos with the cheaper western handle. Profile on those isn't super belly

I have some ITK knives and they are a good value. I did mention the part where I am using this experience as an excuse to test drive a watanabe, lol. Thus only two models listed. However, that is two votes for a santoku.

Get a Watanabe then. What are you waiting for? :)

Aside from your professed inclination to go Watanabe, tbh the first thing that came to mind was those Tanaka 190mm gyutos with the cheaper western handle. Profile on those isn't super belly

Do they come only in vg10? (I guess I am being more picky than I thought I would be.)

Get a Watanabe then. What are you waiting for? :)

Just taking on what everyone has to say on profile here. Every time I try to pull the trigger I do not know which to go with.

I just picked up a tanaka 190mm KU with Wa handle in B2 from MM on eBay.

It's actually ~185mm

Hah, you guys are not making this easy. I have heard good things about the Tanaka B2 line, grind wise.

Well, one way is to get a custom one ;) , but you sound like you need a Carter funayuki, I would say :) I do not know about your budget, but he makes them very different and you would have a very good chance to find something you like.

What about the Watanabe nakiri? Myself, I'd be going for a small cleaver in such a situatation, but a nakiri sounds like the next best thing, and it sounds like lots of people love the Watanabe nakiri. :)

What about the Watanabe nakiri? Myself, I'd be going for a small cleaver in such a situatation, but a nakiri sounds like the next best thing, and it sounds like lots of people love the Watanabe nakiri. :)

I had thought about it but I think that would fit at home better than as a travel knife. It being so task specific. I suppose something like that and a 180 petty would work but then the versatility of a 180mm gyuto seems like it would be more appropriate. That is the same issue the santoku would give me, lacking in slicing even though I would only do a little. At home I am good with task specific but in this situation I am thinking versatility will be key and as such I think I just answered my own question, lol.

I can't imagine a setting where a 210 gyuto was too big... I'd go for a Watanabe 210!

It is a mix of a small house and very tiny kitchen as well as a poor design. I am working on a 9x9 board. A 210 can be used but it is cramped and I would rather go smaller. That allows me room for my rag, prep bowls and veggies.

Not to derail the thread, because the advice given is better than I can offer - but kudos to you for helping with the caregiving duties. It's a major time commitment and often not recognized enough.

I would go Gyuto. Never been able to warm up to a Santoku. Also think you might want to add Nakiri to kit though perhaps not at first.

You could pose the question to him re bunka or bunka profile. From what I've heard he turns around special requests pretty quick.

Thank you both! I will have to give it some thought and look into it. Every time I ask about a new knife I end up wanting three!

Back