Sharpening - 1st try

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peco

Banned
Reaction score
Well it was time to try out my new stones. A guy from work gave me an old rusty Mac to practice on. I decided to do long strokes as sectioning didn't feel right.

Choseras cut fast - a little scary when sharpening for the first time. I took some of the advise from my previous thread and combined it with all the techniques I have seen on vids ... this is the result of my first "serious" sharpeningsession :scared4:

sharp_1st_try.jpg

Looks way better than my first try, lol. Does it cut? :)

Looks way better than my first try, lol. Does it cut? :)

Don't have any hair left on my forearm, so yes :D The most important thing was not to make scratches above the edge - that I managed with success. Now I just have to do 15 more knifes in the nearest future - just to get the hang of it!

Excellent! Just make sure you get rid of the burr/wire edge. And don't worry about one forearm getting hairier than the other. Mine grew back normally, haha.

Excellent! Just make sure you get rid of the burr/wire edge. And don't worry about one forearm getting hairier than the other. Mine grew back normally, haha.

I used the handle on my wifes wooden spoon for de-burring ... she didn't like it at all so I got to find something else to use lol

I used the handle on my wifes wooden spoon for de-burring ... she didn't like it at all so I got to find something else to use lol

lol guilty.

Hey use a rubber eraser, or a cork. Cheap, readily available, and works.

Just use the edge of the dining room table, it will make her forget all about her spoon!:knife:

Nice job :) you'll be sharpening like a pro in no time. Keep practicing, reading and watching videos.

Wow! Great job!!!
Just listen to Dave and make sure those wire edges are long gone, and you're set!

I did the same thing, my wife looked at me like I was nuts.

I make the wooden spoons around here so I can use them as I see fit!

for a first time, that is great work. just keep it up and remember that you can always improve.

i am sooooo glad i didn't take a picture of my first attempt, lol

for a first time, that is great work. just keep it up and remember that you can always improve.

i am sooooo glad i didn't take a picture of my first attempt, lol

Thanks :D Well I will sharpen, sharpen, sharpen and then sharpen some more - might as well get as good as I can be!

Back