What is your favourite bunka <= 165 mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
I am looking for a bunka that's smaller than (or equal to) 165 mm. What's you favourite one? Preferably stainless, but willing to consider carbon.

Love my Haburn ...

The gyuto is 240 so probably a bit longer than you are looking for but tip is super thin and I find I reach for this all the time. Love the little brother Ko Bunko as well as a parer ... Get in touch with Ian you won't be disappointed (all the 3 blades are AEB-L).

Should be getting by 150 Bunka's any day now from Watanabe.

Ordered two, one carbon, the other, carbon core with semi stainless clad.

Watanabe doesn't have them as 'regulars' but he will gladly make any size you will ask.

Will share once I get them.

Should be getting by 150 Bunka's any day now from Watanabe.

Ordered two, one carbon, the other, carbon core with semi stainless clad.

Watanabe doesn't have them as 'regulars' but he will gladly make any size you will ask.

Will share once I get them.
Yes, please show us these bunkas!

Oh, Monte, those are Sa-weeet! might need to have Ian make me one of those! but, no.... I need to replenish knife funds!

The regular size Masakage koishi bunka is right at the top of your length requirement. I enjoy mine a great deal. The cladding is not reactive and the blue steel core sharpens up wonderfully. Handle is very smooth, no ridge or gap where the ferrule meets the cherry handle.

My only Bunka is a Masakage Yuki, but I am very pleased with it. Great height and I like the weight on this small knife. That Watanabe does look awesome, I'm jelly!

28759490kf.jpg

28759492id.jpg

C145 Steel: Check
Superthin geometry by Bryan: Check
Coustom handle by Anto from Russia: Check

That is a nice one banjo!

I've been thinking about a bunka but just haven't found exactly what i am looking for, I might just have to find profile and have it made.... need to see those Carter's and Watanabe's.

My two favorite bunkabochos, nevermind that they're my ONLY bunkas... :)

tgGx6Eql.jpg

Top is a 165 mm san mai with aogami core (you can see the kanji) that I got off ebay for $67. Not a good edge when received, but after putting my own edge on it, I was quite surprised how much I enjoyed using it. IIRC, it's from an eBay seller in Japan who brands his knives as "Gekko" (not the same as JCK's Gekko I think).

Bottom is a 160 mm bunkabocho, 1084 monosteel with western handle and belly that I made. It's probably the knife that I've used the most in my kitchen since I finished it. I really enjoy a 240 mm sized gyuto but I found that I reach for this one the most often for quickie meal prep sessions or simple one off tasks like when I want to slice some cheese for crackers, cut a single tomato for a salad, or other similar tasks. It made me reassess my tendency to use a 240 mm gyuto for everything.

My two favorite bunkabochos, nevermind that they're my ONLY bunkas... :)

tgGx6Eql.jpg

Top is a 165 mm san mai with aogami core (you can see the kanji) that I got off ebay for $67. Not a good edge when received, but after putting my own edge on it, I was quite surprised how much I enjoyed using it. IIRC, it's from an eBay seller in Japan who brands his knives as "Gekko" (not the same as JCK's Gekko I think).

Bottom is a 160 mm bunkabocho, 1084 monosteel with western handle and belly that I made. It's probably the knife that I've used the most in my kitchen since I finished it. I really enjoy a 240 mm sized gyuto but I found that I reach for this one the most often for quickie meal prep sessions or simple one off tasks like when I want to slice some cheese for crackers, cut a single tomato for a salad, or other similar tasks. It made me reassess my tendency to use a 240 mm gyuto for everything.

This must be an old photo or that cookie has escaped consumption. For home stuff i too find a smaller knife in the 160 to 200 range adequate.

My only Bunka is a Masakage Yuki, but I am very pleased with it. Great height and I like the weight on this small knife. That Watanabe does look awesome, I'm jelly!

+1 for the masakage Yuki! It comes in right behind my yoshikane hakata santoku.

Back