Quantcast
Using Synthetic Fingerstones
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using Synthetic Fingerstones

Using Synthetic Fingerstones

*Note - Please excuse the crappy pictures. I took them while working in my stone room under fluorescent lighting.

Here's the stones I used. The top one shown is the size and shape of what we're selling (you would receive a qty of 4 when ordering). The bottom two stones show a worn down stone that's been snapped in half to make two little fingerpad sized stones. I like to have both sizes because the larger works great on flats while the smaller goes in and out of irregularities and easily conforms to curves.

Here's the knife I started with. It's one of the "practice yanagis" that we used to sell.

First I begin by flattening the blade road with a coarse stone to make it as even as possible. Once that's done I move onto the King 800x to make a matte finish and bring out contrast. Here's what it looks like after the King 800x is used.

Now I break out the synthetic fingerstones and test to see what I have. Here's the initial results.

Not bad but look at that bird's beak - we've got to do something with that. So I go back to my coarse stone, remove the bird's beak, and do all the above over again.

Following that I break out the polishing stones and do the edge bevel but I scuffed up my nice pretty blade road so I grab the synthetic fingerstones once again and hit the entire blade road and edge bevel. Here's the end results.

*Note - These pictures taken the next day outside in natural daylight.

So there you have it - Dave's secret weapon de-bunked and now available for sale. What you see is exactly what it does. Keep in mind that the knife used above is a $29 (retail) knife giving these results, imagine what a good knife would look like?

Synthetic Fingerstones available HERE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	p101000111.jpg‎
Views:	59
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	2008  
    Last edited by Dave Martell; 10-14-2011 at 02:32 PM.

In the above pictures I used the King 800x as the base layer for using the fingerstones because I've found this to be the quickest way to decent results. The King 800x base leaves a slightly darkish look so if you prefer lighter you'd use something like the synthetic aoto, Suehiro Rika, Kitayama, Superstones, or whatever you want instead. You'll be surprised by how these fingerstones give results differently based on what stone was used directly before them.

On surface texture, this is also somewhat effected by the stone used before the fingerstones, however, the fingerstones themselves generally provide the perfect slippery surface texture that is looked for when using a yanagiba.

Someone pointed out to me something that I hadn't noted above, that is that the cladding (the jigane) is iron on this knife. This is worth noting because the finish you get from trying to polish iron isn't all that good or easy to do. In this case I was able to get a pretty good finish considering all conditions.

+ Reply to Thread