Garage Fire

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbochef422

Reaction score
We had a house fire that started in the garage last night. Everyone is safe which is the most important. I did loose 50+ cookbooks, a Tanaka R2, Kato workhorse, misc vintage knives and a bunch of stones as well as my whole work shop, drill press etc... sucks but everyone is ok and can start the rebuild and clean up hopefully tomorrow. Everyone was sleeping all I can say is make sure your smoke detectors work.

So sorry to hear this Nick , pm me if you need any knives to use for work

man, what a scare that must have been. glad no one got hurt.

So sorry to hear this Nick , pm me if you need any knives to use for work

Same here. I have too many gyutos and will gladly loan a couple out. Wish I was closer to help with the cleanup/build. My family home burnt down in the late 80's due to a lightning strike(fortunately we were all on vacation)and it would've been far worse than it was without the help of friends and family.

Glad to hear no one was hurt. House fires, especially at night, are scary things.

Hopefully insurance will cover the knives and you can get so,e nice new ones! I'm glad nobody was hurt, we had a garage fire on a detachted garage when I was a kid, it's pretty intense to see your stuff burn up.

Nick, I'm sorry to hear this, but fortunately everyone is safe. I hope that your rebuild is as painless as can be.

So sorry to hear about this, hope you can get back to 100% soon, glad everyone is ok!

Cool hearing everyone is safe...sucks about the material goods.

I was really hoping this was just a poor name for a new grunge rock band. Nick, sorry you are having to deal with this. I hope the rebuild goes smoothly and you are able to somewhat replace what was lost. I have loaners (stones and knives) if need be, don't hesitate to ask.

-rj

Sorry to hear that, but as you say, the most important is that you are all OK. I hope you will manage to recover some of the costs from insurance.

Sorry this happened to you. Hopefully the rebuild will go smoothly. I agree about smoke detectors, but bear in mind that smoke detectors and sprinkler systems are just part of the safety measures. If you are doing any kind of metal and wood grinding in the same space - make sure you keep it as dust free as possible. saw dust and metal in powder form have the propensity to become very explosive if fluttered up by wind - static electricity can spark it up and it will make for a BIG explosion in the right conditions.

Sorry to hear the news Nick, glad that nothing happened anyone. Please take care.

Well that sucks. Good to hear at least your house didn't succeed in heat-treating your family... Hope things work out with insurance and rebuilding!

Any blades left in a condition that you could re-HT and rehandle them (guessing it could be possible with ingot steels, not with PM though?)

Thanks guys. At first you say ,"ah it's just stuff". But then after it all settles down you say, "that was my stuff". And I didn't realize fire is so loud. Holy Sh_t scary.

Thanks guys. At first you say ,"ah it's just stuff". But then after it all settles down you say, "that was my stuff". And I didn't realize fire is so loud. Holy Sh_t scary.

This entire forum is devoted to 'just stuff'. I don't think any of us would feel any lighter about it.

Glad the most important stuff is safe. I hate anyone/anything effing with "my stuff" but in the end my stuff is only stuff.

If you have any short term needs for knives or stuff pls post. Half of My stuff is in storage right now - would be happy to see it get some use.

I'd go into shock with any fire, but just feel such great relief that everybody was all right. But, really feel bad for your prized losses. I know they part of who you are.

I'm gonna do a full inventory for the insurance company tomorrow. It's hard to explain a Kato or a ks or even Tanaka R2. Good luck trying to get one. The knives are discolored and have like an ashy surface that can't be wiped off. Maybe scrubbed with a brush or something. I definitely need a deba and another ks. I don't know. We'll see.

Glad you're ok Nick and appreciate the heads up. I have checked my smoke detector in my shop and know I my fire extinguishers are " missing" . Good luck with the rebuild and insurance.

"ah it's just stuff".

Stuff sometimes represents significant time and effort spent making or acquiring it, so it can equal a surprisingly high amount of lifetime...

We had a house fire that started in the garage last night. Everyone is safe which is the most important. I did loose 50+ cookbooks, a Tanaka R2, Kato workhorse, misc vintage knives and a bunch of stones as well as my whole work shop, drill press etc... sucks but everyone is ok and can start the rebuild and clean up hopefully tomorrow. Everyone was sleeping all I can say is make sure your smoke detectors work.

I hope your rebuild is as painless as possible & glad everyone is OK as that's the most important thing!

Back