Quantcast
Strops, Hones, & Compounds - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strops, Hones, & Compounds

Hey dude, no head-banging. I need you to focus!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    ...If you want to re-glue the leather back down then that's cool...
    What seems to be working as far as regluing?

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Hey dude, no head-banging. I need you to focus!
    What seems to be working as far as regluing?
    I'm focusing on jumping off a bridge.

So far I've been told by one guy that he used CA glue and another that used contact cement. The CA glue was used to tack down the curling sides where the guy who used the contact cement peeled the leather off of the plate, cleaned the plate, and then attached. Both say that the problem is solved.

Ok folks, don't anyone ever argue with me ever again when I say that I've got bad luck.

So I've been waiting on one last component to put the strop kits together...... the first shipment - lost, the replacement shipment just arrived with nothing in the package! You've got to be kidding me!?!?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003.jpg‎
Views:	46
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	2239  

On the leather issue, it's still unresolved but it's being worked on. Thanks for your patience on all this.

Ok folks, don't anyone ever argue with me ever again when I say that I've got bad luck.

So I've been waiting on one last component to put the strop kits together...... the first shipment - lost, the replacement shipment just arrived with nothing in the package! You've got to be kidding me!?!?
    At least they care, right?

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    At least they care, right?
    Yeah.....that's......something I guess.

The final component has arrived.

I'm packing up all backorders today for shipment on Monday morning.

Oh and a heads up - there's a few kits, bases, leather, chromium oxide, and felt pads/blocks in stock as well. I believe over 60 in stock request emails went out for the kits alone so those will likely go pretty quick.

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningst...egory-s/27.htm

On the leather issue, it's still unresolved but it's being worked on. Thanks for your patience on all this.

Update>

The leather that's now being supplied with our hones is pretty good stuff and I'm satisfied with it, however, it does present a problem when used in combination with the Dupont diamond spray. The Dupont spray shrinks the leather and causes it to curl at the edges and pull away from the steel plate. This isn't something that is going to be able to be fixed.

The choices for us then are to either go with a new leather pad or diamond spray. Most likely the leather will stay and the diamond will go as a couple of the options I have are pretty good for new sprays, in fact, one of them is nicely surprising me but it may not be a financially viable option.

So we're still stumbling along but I'm convinced that the effort will be worth the work. I'll keep you posted.

Oh and the base may have a new face lift coming soon - a new weighted version is on the horizon. I've been testing it and like it better than any other bench hone I've used to date. It's great for us heavy handed stroppers since it stays put nicely, it makes the old HA steel top base seem like a feather in comparison and it still retains the classy look that the current base has. Another wife friendly hone.

Instead of diamond spray, I use a diamond paste one of my leather strops. It doesn't do anything to the leather except keep it from drying out.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

+ Reply to Thread