Quantcast
Strops, Hones, & Compounds - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Strops, Hones, & Compounds

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Instead of diamond spray, I use a diamond paste one of my leather strops. It doesn't do anything to the leather except keep it from drying out.

I love diamond pastes when I can get a good spread going. I haven't had much luck with it on textured leather though, sort of clumpy. It's great stuff though since you can get it in real high concentrations.

Here's a surprise for myself, I just got in another version of the Dupont polycrystalline white diamond spray to test, it's supposed to not curl the leather. It's a tweaked version of one I've been selling. So far so good in testing for curling and edge quality. They sent 0.25 & 1 mic samples to test and I'm liking what the 1mic is giving up. Makes me wonder if an even coarser version might be worth checking out.

Anyway, this is very uplifting news for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    But not for your leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Here's a surprise for myself, I just got in another version of the Dupont polycrystalline white diamond spray to test, it's supposed to not curl the leather. It's a tweaked version of one I've been selling. So far so good in testing for curling and edge quality. They sent 0.25 & 1 mic samples to test and I'm liking what the 1mic is giving up. Makes me wonder if an even coarser version might be worth checking out.

Based on this, I shot an email to Allied High Tech products which also makes the same product. They got their local rep in Singapore Agent to deliver samples and the US guy suggested that I tried their GLYCOL oil based adn not water based solution as leather and water does not gel at all.. either it gets mouldy or when it dries up.. contracts! I supposed if sprayed enough , whatever is used as a carrier once it reaches the glue... chemistry goes into action and possibly unglues the leather from the base (?)

I am surprised by the sharpness! my test knife.. is a silent cutter on paper..

ONly thing is that the solution is grey in color adn will wait for my new strop comes in 2 weeks time adn that teh current strop that i am using is 25 years old and had been loaded with other compounds. Will see how it changes the color of the leather...

Now I am using it as a polish on my watch strap and knives ! man I am not disappointed at all

rgds

david

Hi David,
    Thanks for this information, I will keep it in mind for future testing, however the Dupont diamond we use isn't available in the oil solution.

Thanks again though,
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread